At first glance, Ethan Ordish and Sam Whatarangi look like they could be the cheeky troublemakers of this year's season, but underneath their goofy grins are just two charming small-town boys from Te Kuiti.
"We grew up in a small town where kids played down in the creek or caught crayfish," recalls builder Ethan, 26. "We used to have competitions on who could cut the most firewood in 60 seconds."
After 14 years of friendship, the rock-solid pair decided they would make a dream team on The Block.
While building a house with your best mate might be in the too-hard basket, this isn't Ethan and Sam's first reno.
At the end of last year, they travelled to Fiji as volunteers to build a church.
"It was a pretty cool experience," tells joiner Sam, 27. "We were really thrown in the deep end and were in charge of about 30 guys. We built a church from the ground up in about two weeks.
"After doing that, we know that we can work together pretty well. There was a lot of stress on that job, but we still managed to get it done. We've done other projects together like building decks for friends – and those are the things that have really cemented our friendship."
- Celebrity NewsJay-Jay Feeney and Paul Flynn: our perfect friendship
Woman's DayJan 08, 2021
- CompetitionsWin a double pass to our exclusive screening of Penguin Bloom
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyDec 27, 2020
- Celebrity NewsRobert Rakete's Christmas plans: 'It'll be a breeze!'
Woman's DayDec 25, 2020
- Celebrity NewsJase, Toni & Sam get festive with their four-legged friends
Woman's DayDec 21, 2020
- FamilyThe Terrace at Sylvia Park - what's on offer at this new dining destination
Now To LoveDec 16, 2020
- Celebrity NewsShortland Street's Ben Barrington and Ngahuia Piripi's Christmas celebrations
Woman's DayDec 16, 2020
- Celebrity NewsWendy Petrie and Matty McLean's festive cheer: 'Our hearts are so full'
Woman's DayDec 15, 2020
- Celebrity NewsKanoa Lloyd and Mike McRoberts' best Christmas ever
Woman's DayDec 14, 2020
- Celebrity NewsSoon I’ll be a dad to three under three! Sam Wallace shares his hopes and fears
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyDec 11, 2020
- Celebrity NewsCarolyn Keep's little miracle: 'The baby I never thought I'd have'
Woman's DayDec 10, 2020
- RoyalsMeghan Markle reveals she miscarried her second child in a powerful personal essay
Now To LoveNov 26, 2020
- CompetitionsWin a Farro Hamper and a double pass to Happiest Season
Now To LoveNov 25, 2020
- CompetitionsWin the Ultimate Teeth Whitening Prize Pack thanks to Colgate Optic White
Woman's DayNov 23, 2020