At first glance, Ethan Ordish and Sam Whatarangi look like they could be the cheeky troublemakers of this year's season, but underneath their goofy grins are just two charming small-town boys from Te Kuiti.
"We grew up in a small town where kids played down in the creek or caught crayfish," recalls builder Ethan, 26. "We used to have competitions on who could cut the most firewood in 60 seconds."
After 14 years of friendship, the rock-solid pair decided they would make a dream team on The Block.
While building a house with your best mate might be in the too-hard basket, this isn't Ethan and Sam's first reno.
At the end of last year, they travelled to Fiji as volunteers to build a church.
"It was a pretty cool experience," tells joiner Sam, 27. "We were really thrown in the deep end and were in charge of about 30 guys. We built a church from the ground up in about two weeks.
"After doing that, we know that we can work together pretty well. There was a lot of stress on that job, but we still managed to get it done. We've done other projects together like building decks for friends – and those are the things that have really cemented our friendship."
- BodyDr Libby on why we're overusing the word 'stressed' and how we should really be thinking about the term
Good Health ChoicesToday 12:00pm
- Family50 years on from the Manson murders Debra Tate speaks out about her sister Sharon's murder
The Australian Women's WeeklyToday 10:00am
- TVHow Athena Angelou went from homeless to radio star in just a few short years
Woman's DayToday 7:55am
- Diet & NutritionHow to ensure you're putting the most nutritious grocery options in your trolley
Good Health ChoicesYesterday 12:00pm
- CareerWhy Jennifer Aniston is looking to the future with a new focus
Now To LoveYesterday 9:00am
- TVThe Block NZ favourites Ethan and Sam: 'We had a rough run but we stayed true to ourselves'
Woman's DayYesterday 7:30am
- RoyalsPrince Harry shares more details about his upcoming mental health TV series with Oprah
Now To LoveSep 20, 2019
- CareerMy life is stranger than fiction says NZ Children's Book Awards winner Bren MacDibble
New Zealand Woman's WeeklySep 20, 2019
- TVThe Block NZ winners Lisa and Ribz reveal their post-show plans
Woman's DaySep 20, 2019
- MindWhy Shortland Street's Ana Scotney was forced to quit social media
Woman's DaySep 19, 2019
- CareerTech-savvy granny: Meet Val, a social media queen at 90
New Zealand Woman's WeeklySep 19, 2019
- CompetitionsWin one of five prize packs from Arnott’s worth $100
Good Health ChoicesSep 19, 2019