Transgender reality star Caitlyn Jenner has put her life under the spotlight, first as part of the Kardashian family and now on her own docu-series I Am Cait, but the 65-year-old still had a bombshell up her sleeve during a recent appearance on the The Ellen DeGeneres Show.
In her interview, Caitlyn described herself as a “traditionalist” who had previously been against same-sex marriage.
“I’m older than most people in the audience, and I kind of like tradition, you know, and it’s always been a man and a woman,” Caitlyn told Ellen.
However, she added that she was now “okay with it” and wouldn’t want to stand in the way of anyone else’s happiness.
“If that word ‘marriage’ is really, really that important to you, I can go with it,” she said.
It was a surprising admission for the former Olympian, whose public transition from man to woman has captivated many all over the world. Even Ellen herself was taken aback by the confession, as she later revealed during an interview on Howard Stern’s radio show.
“She still has a judgement about gay marriage,” Ellen said.
“And I said, ‘You’re wanting people to understand and accept you … and you still have a judgement about gay people and marriage.’
Ellen - who has been married to Portia de Rossi since 2008 - added that Caitlyn's views on same-sex marriage were "confusing" to people.
“I don’t really know her and I’m trying to understand it because I don’t fully understand it either, but I also want everyone to be happy,” Ellen went on.
- TVOur broody Bachelorette: 'David Attenborough is my dream man'
Woman's DayJan 20, 2021
- Celebrity NewsJay-Jay Feeney and Paul Flynn: our perfect friendship
Woman's DayJan 08, 2021
- CompetitionsWin a double pass to our exclusive screening of Penguin Bloom
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyDec 27, 2020
- Celebrity NewsRobert Rakete's Christmas plans: 'It'll be a breeze!'
Woman's DayDec 25, 2020
- Celebrity NewsJase, Toni & Sam get festive with their four-legged friends
Woman's DayDec 21, 2020
- FamilyThe Terrace at Sylvia Park - what's on offer at this new dining destination
Now To LoveDec 16, 2020
- Celebrity NewsShortland Street's Ben Barrington and Ngahuia Piripi's Christmas celebrations
Woman's DayDec 16, 2020
- Celebrity NewsWendy Petrie and Matty McLean's festive cheer: 'Our hearts are so full'
Woman's DayDec 15, 2020
- Celebrity NewsKanoa Lloyd and Mike McRoberts' best Christmas ever
Woman's DayDec 14, 2020
- Celebrity NewsSoon I’ll be a dad to three under three! Sam Wallace shares his hopes and fears
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyDec 11, 2020
- Celebrity NewsCarolyn Keep's little miracle: 'The baby I never thought I'd have'
Woman's DayDec 10, 2020
- RoyalsMeghan Markle reveals she miscarried her second child in a powerful personal essay
Now To LoveNov 26, 2020
- CompetitionsWin a Farro Hamper and a double pass to Happiest Season
Now To LoveNov 25, 2020