In what Thomas Markle claims will be his "last interview" with the media, he has revealed that he hung up on Prince Harry in a heated argument over the phone just days before the Duke and Duchess of Sussex were due to marry.
According to the Mail on Sunday, the argument took place after reports surfaced that Thomas Markle had staged paparazzi photos. Meghan's father has apologised for making a secret deal with the paparazzi to be photographed in an Internet café looking at news stories about his daughter's upcoming nuptials, as well as having a fitting for a wedding suit. In his apology he explained that the arrangement had been a misguided attempt to show the public a more positive side of himself.
Thomas Markle said that when Prince Harry and Meghan Markle's relationship was relatively new, he had shared some warm conversations with the couple over the phone. He said Prince Harry had even given him some advice about how to handle the press once his relationship with Meghan went public.
"Harry told me that I should never go to the press," Thomas told the Daily Mail. "That it would end in tears. He said, 'They will eat you alive.' He was right."
But Thomas did not heed Harry's advice, staging the paparazzi shots. Not long after that he suffered a heart attack and was unable to travel to England to attend the couple's wedding.
Thomas Markle claims that this was when the heated argument had taken place. He said Prince Harry had called him while he was in hospital to ask if he really had worked with the press to stage those photos.
"'If you had listened to me this would never have happened,'" Prince Harry is alleged to have told Thomas Markle.
Thomas Markle said that he told Prince Harry, "Maybe it would be better for you guys if I was dead… then you could pretend to be sad," before he hung up on Prince Harry.
But despite all of the fallout that's happened since - with latest reports saying that Meghan has "cut off" all communication with her father, Thomas Markle says he doesn't harbour any bad feelings towards his daughter and son-in-law.
"I'm not mad at Harry. I'm not mad at Meghan. I love them," Thomas said. "I wish them well. But as for the rest of it, f--k it. I'm done."
And for Meghan's part, according to the Daily Mail sources claim that Meghan, 37, does want to maintain a relationship with her father. She just feels they need some time apart for now.
Speaking to The Sun a US source said: "Meghan loves Thomas and does want to maintain a relationship with him in the long run.
"But at the moment she feels he needs and bit of space. She also wants to take a bit of time out."
Via Life and Style and Now To Love
- Celebrity NewsLady Gaga has called off her engagement to Christian Carino
Now To LoveToday 1:45pm
- Married at First SightMarried At First Sight's Bronson breaks his silence on THAT comment to Ines
Now To LoveYesterday 3:36pm
- BodyRadio host Sarah Gandy has been diagnosed with breast cancer
Now To LoveYesterday 12:13pm
- RoyalsDuchess Meghan has jetted off to New York for her baby shower
Now To LoveYesterday 11:36am
- FertilityTips for couples who are trying to conceive and not pregnant yet
Now To LoveYesterday 11:19am
- Married at First SightThe truth about MAFS' Sam Ball's honeymoon vanishing act - his ex-girlfriend speaks out
Now To LoveYesterday 11:10am
- RoyalsWhy Prince William and Duchess Catherine will be taking a break from their royal duties this week
Now To LoveYesterday 10:15am
- Pregnancy & BirthGemma McCaw's praise for the midwife who delivered baby Charlotte
Woman's DayYesterday 7:00am
- MoneyOnline shopping fails - Kiwi consumers' hilarious tales
Now To LoveFeb 18, 2019
- Celebrity NewsHarper Beckham and Anna Wintour's priceless twinning moment
Now To LoveFeb 18, 2019