In what Thomas Markle claims will be his "last interview" with the media, he has revealed that he hung up on Prince Harry in a heated argument over the phone just days before the Duke and Duchess of Sussex were due to marry.
According to the Mail on Sunday, the argument took place after reports surfaced that Thomas Markle had staged paparazzi photos. Meghan's father has apologised for making a secret deal with the paparazzi to be photographed in an Internet café looking at news stories about his daughter's upcoming nuptials, as well as having a fitting for a wedding suit. In his apology he explained that the arrangement had been a misguided attempt to show the public a more positive side of himself.
Thomas Markle said that when Prince Harry and Meghan Markle's relationship was relatively new, he had shared some warm conversations with the couple over the phone. He said Prince Harry had even given him some advice about how to handle the press once his relationship with Meghan went public.
"Harry told me that I should never go to the press," Thomas told the Daily Mail. "That it would end in tears. He said, 'They will eat you alive.' He was right."
But Thomas did not heed Harry's advice, staging the paparazzi shots. Not long after that he suffered a heart attack and was unable to travel to England to attend the couple's wedding.
Thomas Markle claims that this was when the heated argument had taken place. He said Prince Harry had called him while he was in hospital to ask if he really had worked with the press to stage those photos.
"'If you had listened to me this would never have happened,'" Prince Harry is alleged to have told Thomas Markle.
Thomas Markle said that he told Prince Harry, "Maybe it would be better for you guys if I was dead… then you could pretend to be sad," before he hung up on Prince Harry.
But despite all of the fallout that's happened since - with latest reports saying that Meghan has "cut off" all communication with her father, Thomas Markle says he doesn't harbour any bad feelings towards his daughter and son-in-law.
"I'm not mad at Harry. I'm not mad at Meghan. I love them," Thomas said. "I wish them well. But as for the rest of it, f--k it. I'm done."
And for Meghan's part, according to the Daily Mail sources claim that Meghan, 37, does want to maintain a relationship with her father. She just feels they need some time apart for now.
Speaking to The Sun a US source said: "Meghan loves Thomas and does want to maintain a relationship with him in the long run.
"But at the moment she feels he needs and bit of space. She also wants to take a bit of time out."
Via Life and Style and Now To Love
- BodyToni Street reflects on the extreme toll her auto-immune disease took on her body
Now To LoveToday 4:02pm
- WeddingsTwo years in the making: Tiki Taane's epic marriage proposal
Woman's DayToday 1:55pm
- TVAussie Bachelor Matt Agnew's embarrassing kissing confession
Now To LoveToday 10:05am
- RoyalsA royal biographer dishes on what the Queen carries in her handbag
Now To LoveToday 9:30am
- MoneyEverything you need to know about saving for your retirement
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 8:15am
- CareerPaul Henry reveals he's 'in talks' to return to TV
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 8:00am
- CompetitionsWin an indulgent prize pack from Young Living Oils
Now To LoveToday 7:00am
- Diet & NutritionHere are 6 energy-boosting food alternatives to coffee
Now To LoveYesterday 2:45pm
- Food & DrinksThese Kiwi oats are the perfect go-to breakfast for busy mornings
Now To LoveYesterday 1:00pm
- FamilyA former teen mum shares how she went from pregnant prefect to top of NZ in her career
Now To LoveYesterday 12:17pm
- RelationshipsGreg Boyed's widow posts a touching tribute on the first anniversary of his death
Now To LoveYesterday 11:32am
- TVSam Wallace and Eric Murray bare all on Celebrity Treasure Island
Now To LoveYesterday 10:45am
- RoyalsRevealed: Where Duchess Meghan found inspiration for her wedding day makeup look
Now To LoveYesterday 10:30am
- Travel News'Travel agents are retro' and 3 other misconceptions about travel consultants debunked
Now To LoveYesterday 10:11am
- PetsNZ police have posted a touching tribute to Constable Elliott: the world's first police guinea pig
Now To LoveYesterday 9:21am
- CareerBlack Ferns star Kendra Cocksedge: Living her dream and on a mission to help others live theirs
Woman's DayYesterday 8:10am
- WeddingsDying bride's perfect day: My final dream has come true
Woman's DayAug 20, 2019
- RoyalsPrince Harry's trick to beating a heatwave? ‘Budgie smugglers’, he says
Now To LoveAug 20, 2019