After enjoying an action-packed four days in India for the first part of their week-long tour, the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge have touched down in Bhutan, where they are on a mission to help create a closer connection between England and the Himalayan nation.
After arriving at Paro airport, the couple were greeted by Princess Chimi Yangzom Wangchuck and Prince Dasho Ugyen Jigme Wangchuck. Afterwards, the royal couple took a scenic drive to the capital city of Thipmhu, were they met Bhutan’s young King Jigme Wangchuck and Queen Jetsun (dubbed the “Will and Kate of the Himalayas”).
The royals were welcomed with a traditional ceremony at Thimphu Dzong, the Bhutanese palace, and lit traditional butter lamps in the Tashichho Dzong Temple. Later, William and Kate visited an open-air archery venue in the city, where they were able to take part in a few lessons of their own!
As always, Kate was elegantly dressed for the occasion in an outfit that included a nod to the traditional fabric of the country. After arriving in Bhutan in a chic yellow dress, the royal changed into a cape-style top and floor-length skirt designed by Paul and Joe.
The ensemble was created in London using Bhutanese fabric, with the material for the skirt (called a Throngdrel) woven in Bhutanese tradition. The fabric was made by Kelzang Wangmo, one of Thimphu’s most celebrated weavers.
Next, the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge will take on a 5-6 hour hike to Paro Taktsang, the Tiger’s Nest monastery which dates from 1692, before attending a reception for British nationals in Bhutan and Bhutanese people with strong links to the UK.
- RoyalsInside a play date with Prince George and Princess Charlotte at Kensington Palace
Now To LoveToday 3:40pm
- PetsThe online pet product delivery service that just made your life easier
Now To LoveToday 2:00pm
- RoyalsIs this a clue that Duchess Meghan is relaunching her lifestyle blog The Tig?
Now To LoveToday 11:15am
- CareerFrom Shortland Street to water births: Katherine McRae's new focus
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 9:09am
- RoyalsNew book details the lives of the photographers who captured the royals behind closed doors
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 9:00am
- FamilyNadene Lomu's tearful confession: Pushed to breaking point after Jonah's death
Woman's DayToday 7:45am
- Married at First SightMarried at First Sight NZ brides share the details on their wedding dresses
Woman's DayYesterday 4:45pm
- TVThe one thing Jodie Rimmer did on Celebrity Treasure Island that her children made her apologise for
Woman's DayYesterday 8:55am
- At homeThe sensitive skin laundry hack that makes your clothes soft and speeds up drying time
Now To LoveYesterday 8:24am
- EntertainmentWoman's Day Bonds X-Temp hottest media hunk has been crowned
Woman's DayYesterday 8:21am
- RoyalsDuchess Meghan shares an adorable unseen photo from Archie’s christening for Prince Harry’s birthday
Now To LoveYesterday 8:00am
- TVThe top five moments from Celebrity Treasure Island this week
Now To LoveSep 15, 2019
- CareerHelen Mirren on why being old is 'cool' and marriage is great
The Australian Women's WeeklySep 15, 2019
- CompetitionsWin a $500 Countdown voucher to launch your Disney Word tile collection
Woman's DaySep 15, 2019
- BodyDWTS winner Loryn Reynolds' sister can finally dance again after losing a whopping 70kg
Woman's DaySep 14, 2019