Swedish Princess Sofia has opened up about the struggles she faced early on in her relationship with now-husband, Prince Carl Philip.
Speaking during a podcast launched as part of the foundation she runs with her husband, the Swedish royal revealed, “I know the difference from before I met Carl Philip and after our relationship became public.
“Early on I suffered enormous cyber abuse. It was a bit like walking into a wall,” she said.
The Princess, who previously appeared on reality television and worked as a glamour model before meeting Carl Philip, faced intense public scrutiny as her relationship with the royal hit headlines in 2010.
“It hit me very hard,” she said – but the experience also gave her a greater understanding of “what young people are exposed to daily”.
The royal, who recently welcomed her first child with Carl Philip, said she was receiving “so much hate” that she had to pull the plug on her Facebook page and other social media prior to the couple’s 2015 wedding.
“It’s difficult to know what can you do? Who should you talk to?” Sofia continued.
Cyber bullying is an issue close to Prince Carl Philip’s heart as well, with the royal revealing he also experienced online backlash after an appearance on live TV for a sports event didn’t go completely to plan.
“That’s one reason why we stand here together to face this particular issue. We are a good team and we will make a difference.”
- SkincareThe surprising benefits of caffeine for your skin and body
Now To LoveToday 12:15pm
- BodyPerimenopause: the 'change before the change' explained
The Australian Women's WeeklyToday 10:00am
- Royals25 of the best royal Christmas cards over the years
Now To LoveToday 10:00am
- FamilyIdeas for gifts that your kids can make for others this Christmas
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 9:16am
- Real LifeI love Christmas so much I've converted our barn into a Christmas wonderland
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 9:06am
- FamilyOur favourite Kiwi celebs share some of their favourite Christmas traditions
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 8:46am
- Pregnancy & Birth'She's the real miracle': New dad's tribute to wife after she gives birth goes viral
Now To LoveYesterday 4:00pm
- At homeEverything you need to know about living a 'low-tox' life in 2020
- At homeEntertaining with ease thanks to the latest tech products
Now To LoveYesterday 11:50am
- RoyalsTake a look back at Queen Elizabeth’s first televised Christmas message 62 years ago
Now To LoveYesterday 11:30am
- MindZac Guildford's candid confession about his battle with drugs and depression
Woman's DayYesterday 9:50am
- SkincareAcne and exfoliating: does it make your skin worse?
Now To LoveYesterday 8:00am
- RoyalsThe impact of having Sussex Royal follow you on Instagram
Now To LoveDec 10, 2019
- MakeupDo eyebrows grow back? How to regrow over plucked brows
Now To LoveDec 10, 2019