Sarah Ferguson has spoken extensively about her friendship with the late Princess Diana in a new television interview with Good Morning Britain, in which she recalls the overwhelming experience of attending Prince Harry and Meghan Markle's wedding at St George's Chapel earlier this year.
"It was nerve-wracking and I was glad I didn't trip over in those heels," she told hosts Piers Morgan and Susanna Reid in the interview, which marked the launch of Street Child's latest charity campaign, adding that she thought of Diana and her parents to get her through. "But the minute I started to walk I was thinking of Diana in my heart and my mum. My dad would say 'the show goes on, get on with it,"' she said.
In reference to the crowd's response to her arrival, which was seen by many as the Duchess's re-entry into royal life, she added: "I wanted to cry at the crowd's reaction. I looked around to see who they were doing it for and then someone said 'Fergie' and it was the old Fergie back, it was very kind. I also felt so emotional because of the kind people that had been so lovely, plus Jack Brooksbank, came towards me with open arms."
"I felt very happy for my friend Diana, who I love, and I felt honoured to be invited by Meghan and Harry. It was very kind of them, I can't thank them enough for doing that," she said.
Speaking of her friendship with Diana, she told Piers and Susanna: "I miss her, no one made me laugh better than her, she was hilarious."
The allusions to the late Princess of Wales continued, with the Duchess of York asserting that "Diana would have loved every moment of it, she really would have been so proud" of Harry and Meghan's big day, and that she'd have been a big fan of her daughters-in-law and their charitable works, too.
"She had this enormous compassion and I honestly think she would be so proud of the wonderful Meghan and Catherine as well. She'd want to embrace them and say 'you're doing so well.'"
"Even before they got married, Diana would have been literally saying 'I can't believe these boys have done so well.' They are such a credit to her."
Via our sister site Grazia.
- SkincareAll you need to know about retinol and anti-ageing ingredients
Now To LoveMay 06, 2021
- Married at First SightMAFS Patrick and Belinda: 'Pat will make a great Dad!'
Woman's DayMay 05, 2021
- Married at First SightMAFS Bryce & Melissa: 'We're getting our own show!'
Woman's DayMay 04, 2021
- RoyalsPrince Philip, the Duke of Edinburgh, has died aged 99
Now To LoveApr 09, 2021
- TVPopstars panel tells all: Rock regrets, secret crushes and dad jokes!
Woman's DayApr 09, 2021
- Celebrity NewsIron Mike's magic milestone: 'I'm finally in a good space!'
Woman's DayApr 07, 2021
- TVBachelorettes' show down: Our last-ditch effort to woo Moses
Woman's DayMar 30, 2021
- TVBachelor babes bare all: 'Our lives have changed forever'
Woman's DayMar 29, 2021
- Celebrity NewsSmitten but sleep-deprived! Sam Wallace and fiancée Sarah are on double duty
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyMar 26, 2021
- Celebrity NewsKiwi stunt star Zoë Bell talks brain injuries and break-ups
Woman's DayMar 24, 2021