Princes William and Harry have announced a new memorial statue will be built in honour of their mother, Princess Diana.
The statue will sit in the public gardens of Kensington Palace with an unveiling date set to coincide with the 20th anniversary of Princess Diana’s death.
The Princes revealed news of the planned memorial to their mother in a joint statement that highlighted the importance of the poignant tribute.
"It has been twenty years since our mother's death and the time is right to recognise her positive impact in the UK and around the world with a permanent statue.
"Our mother touched so many lives. We hope the statue will help all those who visit Kensington Palace to reflect on her life and her legacy.”
The Mirror reports the Queen is aware of plans to build the memorial, and has given her approval.
A Buckingham Palace spokesman said: “The Queen is aware of the plans and supports the wish of the Duke and Prince Harry to memorialise the life and work of their mother.”
According to the Royal statement, the Duke of Cambridge and Prince Harry have appointed a committee to help choose a sculptor and raise funds for the statue.
The six member committee includes Diana’s older sister, Lady Sarah McCorquodale, and Julia Samuel, close friend to the Princess, and now Prince George’s godmother.
The other committee members are Jamie Lowther-Pinkerton, former private secretary to the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Prince Harry, Gerry Farrell, the co-owner of London’s Sladmore gallery; financier Guy Monson; and John Barnes, chief executive of Historic Royal Palaces.
A memorial garden, which has the backing of Princes William and Harry, is already underway at Kensington Palace.
- RoyalsThe Cambridges are set to visit Ireland as the Sussexes return to the UK
Now To LoveToday 3:00pm
- PetsIt's getting hot in here: Expert advice on caring for your pet over summer
Now To LoveToday 2:00pm
- Married at First SightMarried At First Sight Australia 2019 stars: Where are they now?
Now To LoveToday 10:00am
- CareerWhy Judy Bailey's latest project had everyone thinking she was getting inked
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 9:40am
- CareerWhy Laura Dern deserves every acting award she gets!
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 9:31am
- Married at First SightMarried At First Sight bride Poppy Jennings' unexpected exit: what really went on
Now To LoveYesterday 8:55pm
- RoyalsPrince William reveals the unexpected activity the Cambridge children tried over the school break
Now To LoveYesterday 3:35pm
- BodyThis Kiwi mum lost a staggering 65kg in a year but says she will always miss her old size
Woman's DayYesterday 2:15pm
- RoyalsThe internet thinks The Sussexes just made a subtle dig at Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie
Now To LoveYesterday 12:50pm
- BodyWhy acupuncture could be the pathway to a healthier body and menstrual cycle
Good Health ChoicesYesterday 8:40am
- TVChelsea Winter's former husband Michael Bullot opens up about kids and marriage
Now To LoveFeb 23, 2020
- FamilyArt and Matilda Green open up about becoming parents and why they're keeping it real on social media
Good Health ChoicesFeb 23, 2020
- MindDo you have FOBO? Why the fear of better options could be fuel for anxiety
Good Health ChoicesFeb 22, 2020
- FamilyA mum's worst nightmare: 'I saw my son floating lifeless'
Woman's DayFeb 22, 2020