Royals

Prince Charles shares an update about his father following Prince Philip’s third night in hospital

The 98-year-old was admitted to hospital on Friday for a “pre-existing condition”.

Prince Charles has shared his father, The Duke of Edinburgh, is in good hands, during a visit to flood-hit communities in South Yorkshire on Monday.
Prince Philip was admitted to Edward VII Hospital in London on Friday for observation in relation to a pre-existing condition, Buckingham Palace confirmed last week.
Prince Charles has said his 98-year-old father is in good hands at Edward VII Hospital in London. (Image: Getty)
When asked about how his father was doing by a reporter at his latest engagement Prince Charles, 71, said, "He's being looked after very well in hospital.
"At the moment that's all we know."
According to Hello!, a member of the public also showed concern for the 98-year-old, asking Charles: "Sir, how is your father?"
"Alright," Prince Charles replied.
"When you get to that age things don't work so well!"
Prince Philip's admission to hospital has said to have been planned and that he did not travel by ambulance. (Image: Getty)
A Palace statement explained Prince Philip had travelled from Norfolk to London and that "the admission is a precautionary measure, on the advice of His Royal Highness' doctor."
Last night marked The Duke's third night in hospital however a royal source who spoke to People said Prince Philip did not travel by ambulance and that it was a "planned admission, and he walked into the hospital unaided."
The Queen and members of the royal family have already begun gathering at Sandringham ahead of Christmas, and on Saturday The Telegraph reported Prince Philip is expected to be well enough to join his family for the festivities.
The Duke is expected to be well enough to return to Sandringham in time for Christmas. (Image: Getty)
Prince Philip retired from public duties in August 2017 and since then has also been absent from events such as Trooping the Colour and missed the Easter Sunday service last year, due to undergoing hip replacement surgery.
In February the Duke, who this year celebrated his 72nd wedding anniversary with the Queen, was involved in a car accident near the Sandringham Estate where he now spends most of his time, which resulted in him voluntarily surrendering his license.