After news broke that he had he coordinated with a photographer to stage a series of paparazzi pictures of himself prepping for the royal wedding, Meghan Markle's father, Thomas Markle Sr., confirmed that he would not be attending the May 19 nuptials.
At the time, he said he did not want to embarrass the royal family or his daughter. He also revealed that he was recovering from a heart attack he'd suffered the week prior.
But the 73-year-old former television-lighting designer has now backflipped on the shocking decision.
Speaking with TMZ, Thomas, who lives in a small town in Mexico, said he does want to go to England to walk his daughter down the aisle.
However, there's a serious snag to his plan…
Thomas, very sadly, revealed to the publication that he's back in the hospital after experiencing "serious chest pains" and doctors are now performing a battery of tests on him. He said that if the doctors give him the okay, he'll risk his health and fly to England for the wedding but doctors have supposedly been noncommittal about discharging him.
"I hate the idea of missing one of the greatest moments in history and walking my daughter down the aisle," he told the publication. "Of course I'd walk her down the aisle. This is a historic moment. I'd like to be a part of history."
It looks as if a sweet message from the bride-to-be was behind the sudden change of heart.
Meghan, 36, reportedly called her dad following the drama to see how he was doing, and when she couldn't reach him, texted him to say that she loves him and is concerned about his health. She also said she was not angry about the staged photoshoots.
What's more, Prince Harry's soon-to-be father-in-law told the outlet he now believes what he did with the photos was "stupid" but not a "serious transgression." Meghan's half sister Samantha Markle has also weighed in on the drama, saying she was behind the staged photos.
He also seemed unconcerned about reports that his publicity stunt had angered the queen, saying: "I don't think the queen is thinking about what I'm doing."
On Monday, Kensington Palace issued a statement following the news that Thomas would not be attending this weekend's wedding.
"This is a deeply personal moment for Ms Markle in the days before her wedding," the statement said.
"She and Prince Harry ask again for understanding and respect to be extended to Mr Markle in this difficult situation."
It remains unclear who will walk the 36-year-old actress down the aisle as she weds Prince Harry in the Saturday ceremony at St. George's Chapel at Windsor Castle. However, there's speculation her mother, Doria Ragland, or even father-in-law-to-be, Prince Charles, may take on the important role.
- RoyalsPrince William’s romantic surprise on Kate Middleton’s birthday
Now To LoveYesterday 2:19pm
- RoyalsThe Queen has stripped Prince Andrew of his military titles and royal patronages
Now To LoveJan 14, 2022
- Celebrity NewsAt home with Dame Kiri: 'You'll never want to leave!'
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyJan 13, 2022
- Real LifeOne-armed Kiwi dancer Brylee Mills reveals why her disability won't stop her
Woman's DayJan 13, 2022
- RoyalsDuchess Catherine’s portrait photographer, Paolo Roversi, reveals Prince William and the kids’ favourite photo, plus special behind the scenes details
The Australian Women's WeeklyJan 13, 2022
- Celebrity NewsChris and Mel Cairns: 'We're in this battle together'
Woman's DayJan 13, 2022
- Celebrity NewsIn memoriam: Paying tribute to the stars we have sadly lost in 2022
Now To LoveJan 11, 2022
- RoyalsThree new portraits of Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge have been released to mark her milestone 40th birthday
The Australian Women's WeeklyJan 09, 2022