Prince Harry and Meghan Markle's royal wedding was nothing if not the real-life equivalent of a modern day fairytale, but the bride's father lived out a shockingly different reality as the newlyweds celebrated their love until the early hours of the morning.
According to The Sun, Thomas Markle Sr. watched his daughter's big day alone while eating jelly at a $43-a-night Airbnb property in Mexico.
"Tom watched the wedding by himself. He thought the ceremony was beautiful but I am sure forever he will regret not being there," Loris Davis, who lives in the same gated community in Mexico as the Duchess of Sussex's father, revealed to the publication.
"I'd bought him some Jell-O and a fruit salad which he ate while he watched it."
Lori went on to back up reports that it was Thomas' heart condition that ultimately kept him from flying to London to attend the nuptials.
"He said to me he wanted to be like Princess Diana's father and walk his daughter down the aisle and he'll always be disappointed he couldn't be there," the 38-year-old said.
He was apparently "so happy" that Prince Charles stepped in to walk beside her on his behalf.
Thomas, a former lighting director who lives in a small town in Mexico, pulled out of his daughter's recent wedding due to reports that he staged paparazzi photos of himself ahead of the nuptials. He then changed his mind and decided he would like to attend the wedding after all, but ultimately his health prevented him from doing that.
The 73-year-old was forced to undergo emergency heart surgery to "clear blockages" and "repair damage" after suffering a heart attack in the lead up to the wedding.
Meghan, 36, confirmed in her own statement that her father would not attend the day after his operation.
"Sadly, my father will not be attending our wedding," she said in the statement released by Kensington Palace. "I have always cared for my father and hope he can be given the space he needs to focus on his health."
"I would like to thank everyone who has offered generous messages of support," she continued. "Please know how much Harry and I look forward to sharing our special day with you on Saturday."
There's now speculation that the newlyweds are planning to visit her father in Mexico.
"I hear one of the things they want to do sooner than later—and now that they're married—is to go and see Thomas Markle, who is recovering from a heart operation," royal reporter Katie Nicholl recently told Entertainment Tonight.
"We don't know when this trip might happen. I'm hearing from people close to Meghan and Harry that they're very keen to do it."
She added: "Of course, Meghan, who's been really concerned about her father's health, is keen to go see him as soon as possible."
- FamilyThe Kiwi mum who couldn't find a decent parenting book so wrote one herself
Now To LoveToday 8:30pm
- BodyThe simple way to treat ageing skin concerns at home
Now To LoveToday 4:40pm
- TVCarolyn Taylor's epiphany since her return to TV on Dancing With The Stars
Woman's DayToday 2:00pm
- BodyThese common myths about sleep could be compromising your health
Now To LoveToday 1:00pm
- BodyEverything you need to know about measles and how to beat the disease
Woman's DayToday 7:00am
- FitnessHow our body clocks influence how effectively we exercise
Now To LoveToday 6:00am
- FamilyEight foodie road trip adventures that your family will love
Now To LoveYesterday 5:00pm
- Diet & NutritionIs margarine actually bad for you? Four myths busted
Now To LoveYesterday 4:00pm
- At homeHow the right retirement village enabled mum to be mum again
Now To LoveYesterday 2:25pm
- RoyalsPrince Harry's stunning wildlife photography is revealed in celebration of Earth Day
Now To LoveYesterday 11:31am
- RoyalsNew house, new baby, new continent? Prince Harry and Duchess Meghan look set to be moving to Africa
Now To LoveYesterday 9:25am
- Married at First SightMarried at First Sight NZ's Dan and Yuki: 'We're more in love than ever'
Woman's DayYesterday 9:20am
- RoyalsHow the Royal Family spent the day on the Queen’s 93rd birthday
Now To LoveYesterday 9:15am
- CareerThe Kiwi couple who are making comfy prosthetic breasts
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyYesterday 9:00am
- At homeWhy a magazine subscription is the perfect gift for you or someone you love
Now To LoveYesterday 9:00am