Prince Harry and Meghan Markle's royal wedding was nothing if not the real-life equivalent of a modern day fairytale, but the bride's father lived out a shockingly different reality as the newlyweds celebrated their love until the early hours of the morning.
According to The Sun, Thomas Markle Sr. watched his daughter's big day alone while eating jelly at a $43-a-night Airbnb property in Mexico.
"Tom watched the wedding by himself. He thought the ceremony was beautiful but I am sure forever he will regret not being there," Loris Davis, who lives in the same gated community in Mexico as the Duchess of Sussex's father, revealed to the publication.
"I'd bought him some Jell-O and a fruit salad which he ate while he watched it."
Lori went on to back up reports that it was Thomas' heart condition that ultimately kept him from flying to London to attend the nuptials.
"He said to me he wanted to be like Princess Diana's father and walk his daughter down the aisle and he'll always be disappointed he couldn't be there," the 38-year-old said.
He was apparently "so happy" that Prince Charles stepped in to walk beside her on his behalf.
Thomas, a former lighting director who lives in a small town in Mexico, pulled out of his daughter's recent wedding due to reports that he staged paparazzi photos of himself ahead of the nuptials. He then changed his mind and decided he would like to attend the wedding after all, but ultimately his health prevented him from doing that.
The 73-year-old was forced to undergo emergency heart surgery to "clear blockages" and "repair damage" after suffering a heart attack in the lead up to the wedding.
Meghan, 36, confirmed in her own statement that her father would not attend the day after his operation.
"Sadly, my father will not be attending our wedding," she said in the statement released by Kensington Palace. "I have always cared for my father and hope he can be given the space he needs to focus on his health."
"I would like to thank everyone who has offered generous messages of support," she continued. "Please know how much Harry and I look forward to sharing our special day with you on Saturday."
There's now speculation that the newlyweds are planning to visit her father in Mexico.
"I hear one of the things they want to do sooner than later—and now that they're married—is to go and see Thomas Markle, who is recovering from a heart operation," royal reporter Katie Nicholl recently told Entertainment Tonight.
"We don't know when this trip might happen. I'm hearing from people close to Meghan and Harry that they're very keen to do it."
She added: "Of course, Meghan, who's been really concerned about her father's health, is keen to go see him as soon as possible."
- RoyalsDid Prince William just accidentally reveal his nickname for Princess Charlotte?
Now To LoveToday 12:30pm
- RoyalsAll the times Prince Louis looked just like his big brother Prince George
Now To LoveToday 10:25am
- FamilyA foster family's heartbreak as the young man they took in as a baby develops more and more serious health problems
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 9:22am
- CompetitionsWin a 6 months’ supply of ChildLife vitamins and supplements for a healthy winter
Good Health ChoicesToday 8:00am
- Diet & NutritionLow calorie and dairy-free ice creams that'll satisfy all your frozen dessert cravings
Now To LoveYesterday 2:30pm
- RoyalsRoyal wedding 2019: The official photos from Lady Gabriella Windsor's wedding have just been released
Now To LoveYesterday 12:30pm
- FamilyAmy Schumer is 'mom-shamed' for returning to work two weeks after having her baby
Now To LoveYesterday 12:05pm
- BodyFrom losing 100kg to gaining a wife: Auckland man Brad Wheeler's incredible weight-loss journey
Woman's DayYesterday 11:45am
- RoyalsDuchess Catherine looks pretty in pink at the latest Buckingham Palace Garden Party
Now To LoveYesterday 9:00am
- TVOur top three moments from Dancing With The Stars, week six
Now To LoveMay 21, 2019
- FamilyGemma McCaw on navigating the first few months of motherhood
Woman's DayMay 21, 2019
- BodyMeet the inspiring Kiwi mum who battled bowel cancer while pregnant
Woman's DayMay 21, 2019