Prince Harry and Meghan Markle's royal wedding was nothing if not the real-life equivalent of a modern day fairytale, but the bride's father lived out a shockingly different reality as the newlyweds celebrated their love until the early hours of the morning.
According to The Sun, Thomas Markle Sr. watched his daughter's big day alone while eating jelly at a $43-a-night Airbnb property in Mexico.
"Tom watched the wedding by himself. He thought the ceremony was beautiful but I am sure forever he will regret not being there," Loris Davis, who lives in the same gated community in Mexico as the Duchess of Sussex's father, revealed to the publication.
"I'd bought him some Jell-O and a fruit salad which he ate while he watched it."
Lori went on to back up reports that it was Thomas' heart condition that ultimately kept him from flying to London to attend the nuptials.
"He said to me he wanted to be like Princess Diana's father and walk his daughter down the aisle and he'll always be disappointed he couldn't be there," the 38-year-old said.
He was apparently "so happy" that Prince Charles stepped in to walk beside her on his behalf.
Thomas, a former lighting director who lives in a small town in Mexico, pulled out of his daughter's recent wedding due to reports that he staged paparazzi photos of himself ahead of the nuptials. He then changed his mind and decided he would like to attend the wedding after all, but ultimately his health prevented him from doing that.
The 73-year-old was forced to undergo emergency heart surgery to "clear blockages" and "repair damage" after suffering a heart attack in the lead up to the wedding.
Meghan, 36, confirmed in her own statement that her father would not attend the day after his operation.
"Sadly, my father will not be attending our wedding," she said in the statement released by Kensington Palace. "I have always cared for my father and hope he can be given the space he needs to focus on his health."
"I would like to thank everyone who has offered generous messages of support," she continued. "Please know how much Harry and I look forward to sharing our special day with you on Saturday."
There's now speculation that the newlyweds are planning to visit her father in Mexico.
"I hear one of the things they want to do sooner than later—and now that they're married—is to go and see Thomas Markle, who is recovering from a heart operation," royal reporter Katie Nicholl recently told Entertainment Tonight.
"We don't know when this trip might happen. I'm hearing from people close to Meghan and Harry that they're very keen to do it."
She added: "Of course, Meghan, who's been really concerned about her father's health, is keen to go see him as soon as possible."
- Pregnancy & BirthSamantha Hayes excitedly announces the gender of her baby
Now To LoveToday 12:00pm
- Diet & NutritionThe truth about coconut oil: Is it actually as good for us as we've been told?
Good Health ChoicesToday 10:00am
- CareerMean Mums' Morgana O'Reilly gets candid about her school days
The Australian Women's WeeklyToday 9:23am
- FamilyHow to get your children off the screens and out into the sunshine
Good Health ChoicesYesterday 12:00pm
- Pregnancy & BirthFear and panic followed by joy: The Edge's Chang Hung welcomes his much longed-for daughter
Woman's DayYesterday 8:00am
- CareerHow Louise Stainthorpe went from stay at home mum to 'badass businesswoman'
Woman's DayJul 19, 2019
- FitnessCommon mistakes to avoid when you're working out for weight loss
Good Health ChoicesJul 19, 2019
- RoyalsThe very unusual way Duchess Camilla just celebrated her 72nd birthday
Now To LoveJul 18, 2019
- TVThe Block NZ's Lisa and Ribz fire back at the 'harsh and nasty' judges
Woman's DayJul 18, 2019
- CareerQueen of tiny: Why I love recreating everything I see in miniature
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyJul 18, 2019
- CompetitionsWin a black and a rose gold Samsung Galaxy Watch Active worth $349 each!
Good Health ChoicesJul 18, 2019
- WeddingsBride quits job to plan her dream wedding and demands her fiancé get a second job
Now To LoveJul 17, 2019
- BodyKaty Perry and Orlando Bloom's new age secret to staying young
Now To LoveJul 17, 2019