Kiwi royal, Gary Lewis, has split from his wife of 14 years, Lady Davina Windsor, after becoming the first person of Māori descent to marry into the British royal family in 2004.
Lady Davina, 41, is the daughter of the Queen's cousin, the Duke of Gloucester, and is currently 30th in line to the throne.
According to the NZ Herald, the pair met in Bali in 2000 while on holiday before they moved in together, living in Grey Lynn, Auckland for a year.
Four years after meeting they tied the knot in a quiet ceremony in Kensington Palace's chapel in 2004.
A Buckingham Palace spokesman confirmed to the Daily Mail that the couple had divorced in secret last year, and while there were no official reasons for the split it's been reported their "cultural differences" may have played a part.
"It's very sad, but their differences were just too great in the end," a close friend told the Daily Mail.
The couple have two children together, Senna Kowhai, eight, and Tane Mahuta, six. The children are said to be living with their mother in London.
Originally from Gisborne, Gary was was a builder and sheep shearer when he met Lady Davina and is also the nephew of acclaimed New Zealand author Witi Ihimaera, who wrote The Whale Rider.
While the couple led a largely private life, they were often photographed with the Queen's immediate family at official royal events.
In 2005 the pair were invited to attend the Queen's reception for the All Blacks at Buckingham Palace and were guests at the Duke and Duchess' wedding in 2011.
- Celebrity NewsJay-Jay Feeney and Paul Flynn: our perfect friendship
Woman's DayJan 08, 2021
- CompetitionsWin a double pass to our exclusive screening of Penguin Bloom
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyDec 27, 2020
- Celebrity NewsRobert Rakete's Christmas plans: 'It'll be a breeze!'
Woman's DayDec 25, 2020
- Celebrity NewsJase, Toni & Sam get festive with their four-legged friends
Woman's DayDec 21, 2020
- FamilyThe Terrace at Sylvia Park - what's on offer at this new dining destination
Now To LoveDec 16, 2020
- Celebrity NewsShortland Street's Ben Barrington and Ngahuia Piripi's Christmas celebrations
Woman's DayDec 16, 2020
- Celebrity NewsWendy Petrie and Matty McLean's festive cheer: 'Our hearts are so full'
Woman's DayDec 15, 2020
- Celebrity NewsKanoa Lloyd and Mike McRoberts' best Christmas ever
Woman's DayDec 14, 2020
- Celebrity NewsSoon I’ll be a dad to three under three! Sam Wallace shares his hopes and fears
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyDec 11, 2020
- Celebrity NewsCarolyn Keep's little miracle: 'The baby I never thought I'd have'
Woman's DayDec 10, 2020
- RoyalsMeghan Markle reveals she miscarried her second child in a powerful personal essay
Now To LoveNov 26, 2020
- CompetitionsWin a Farro Hamper and a double pass to Happiest Season
Now To LoveNov 25, 2020
- CompetitionsWin the Ultimate Teeth Whitening Prize Pack thanks to Colgate Optic White
Woman's DayNov 23, 2020