Queen Elizabeth has always enjoyed horses, both riding them and watching them race. But little did we know that Her Majesty enjoyed the fruits of their winnings, so, so very much.
People revealed that new statistics showed the 91-year-old Queen has amassed over $11 million in winnings over the last 30 years. That is some serious side-hustle.
The horse enthusiast was given her first pony when she was 4-years-old and won her first race as a horse owner when she was a 23-year-old princess in 1949.
It is estimated the Queen currently owns 25 horses, and most of them are stabled at the stud on The Sandringham Estate in Norfolk.
Her Majesty's most successful run of races was in the 1930s, but according to Sean Trivass of Myracing.com, the Queen is "back in the game" after a good year on the track.
Although the Queen attends Royal Ascot races every June, Trivass reveals that her love of the horses is greatly than her love of the racing.
"She is a small owner-breeder. There is far more satisfaction as an owner-breeder to have seen that horse as a foal, grow up and then go to the races and then win it. She appreciates and enjoys that side of things as much as anything," said Trivass.
Earlier this week, Her Majesty and her eldest son, Prince Charles, 68, visited the Household Cavalary Mounted Regiment, where the royal had the honour of naming the regiment’s new drum horse, Perseus.
Fetching in a sky blue, cashmere ensemble by Stewart Parvin, the Queen was seen enjoying herself among the beautiful horses.
While visiting the stables, the Queen took the time to say hello to a particular mare, Joanie. The striking horse was given as a gift from the monarch to the regimen last year.
Upon viewing the horse the Queen remarked, "She’s quite small," and fed her a mint. When the horse curled its lips and bared its teeth, the Queen laughed, "Horrid!"
That's one brave mare!
Myracing.com ranks the royal racer as 11th in the flat-racing season that ended on the weekend. It's estimated she earned around $706,552 this year. Giddy up!
- FamilyAmy Schumer is 'mom-shamed' for returning to work two weeks after having her baby
Now To LoveToday 12:05pm
- RoyalsDuchess Catherine looks pretty in pink at the latest Buckingham Palace Garden Party
Now To LoveToday 9:00am
- TVDancing With The Stars: It's only going to get harder from here on in, says Carol-Ann Hanna
Now To LoveYesterday 2:11pm
- TVOur top three moments from Dancing With The Stars, week six
Now To LoveYesterday 11:45am
- FamilyGemma McCaw on navigating the first few months of motherhood
Woman's DayYesterday 11:20am
- BodyMeet the inspiring Kiwi mum who battled bowel cancer while pregnant
Woman's DayYesterday 11:08am
- FamilyReal Housewives of Auckland's Anne Batley-Burton on the sad secret to her business success
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyYesterday 8:15am
- MindJo Seagar on the importance of talking about death
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyYesterday 8:00am
- FamilyThese inspiring people are our individual 'Grandparent of the year' winners
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyMay 20, 2019
- RoyalsAnother royal wedding: All the details from Lady Gabriella Windsor’s gorgeous nuptials
Now To LoveMay 20, 2019
- TVNadia Lim admits Dancing With The Stars is 'the biggest challenge I've ever taken on'
Woman's DayMay 20, 2019