Prince Harry and Meghan have lived in Nottingham Cottage (located on the same grounds of Kensington Palace where William and Kate live with their family) since their engagement was announced in November 2017.
Now that they're starting a family of their own, however, they've decided to venture a little bit farther down the road with plans to move into Frogmore Cottage in autumn, 2019. Although the relocation sparked rumours of a rift between the two young couples, Harry and Meghan's new residence is only about 32km away from Will and Kate, so they'll likely still be able to rely on the parents-of-three for tips and advice with their own little one.
According to the official website for the royal family, the estate's unusual name comes from the prevalence of frogs found in the marshy area. The cottage itself dates back to the 1600s and is separate from the much larger Frogmore House, though still contains plenty of space for Harry and Meghan's growing family. It was perhaps most famously formerly known as the home of Queen Victoria's dear friend and aide, Abdul Karim. Victoria and Abdul formed a close bond in the last years of her life, which was recently the subject of a 2017 film named after them.
Queen Victoria's legacy also adds a somewhat spooky element to the royal estate's history. Both Victoria and her beloved husband, Prince Albert, were laid to rest in an ornate mausoleum (known simply as the Royal Mausoleum) in what will essentially be Harry and Meghan's backyard!
The Royal Burial Grounds of Frogmore also include Victoria's mother, the Duchess of Kent, who has her own mausoleum, and the Duke of Windsor (formerly known as King Edward VIII before his abdication) is buried next to his wife, Wallis Simpson, on the grounds as well. It's interesting to note that Wallis was the only other American to marry into the royal family before Meghan, though it unforunately came with a lot more controversy at the time.
The cottage is currently undergoing much-needed renovation before Harry and Meghan can start moving in, but we're already anxious to see how they'll put their own touches on the interior.
Reports from the Telegraph claim they've begun construction to build a nursery, yoga studio, gym, and space for Meghan's mum, Doria, when she comes to visit. It might seem a tad grim for Meghan and Harry to raise their family surrounded by the final resting places of so many of their relatives, but it will allow them to embrace the royal family's rich history.
The couple have also already added their own history to the estate with their wedding reception having taken place at Frogmore House, and the pair posed for their engagement photos on the Frogmore grounds before that, too. Here's hoping Harry and Meghan will recreate that photoshoot with their baby in the autumn!
Via our sister site Woman's World.
- Pregnancy & BirthSamantha Hayes excitedly announces the gender of her baby
Now To LoveToday 12:00pm
- Diet & NutritionThe truth about coconut oil: Is it actually as good for us as we've been told?
Good Health ChoicesToday 10:00am
- CareerMean Mums' Morgana O'Reilly gets candid about her school days
The Australian Women's WeeklyToday 9:23am
- FamilyHow to get your children off the screens and out into the sunshine
Good Health ChoicesYesterday 12:00pm
- Pregnancy & BirthFear and panic followed by joy: The Edge's Chang Hung welcomes his much longed-for daughter
Woman's DayYesterday 8:00am
- CareerHow Louise Stainthorpe went from stay at home mum to 'badass businesswoman'
Woman's DayJul 19, 2019
- FitnessCommon mistakes to avoid when you're working out for weight loss
Good Health ChoicesJul 19, 2019
- RoyalsThe very unusual way Duchess Camilla just celebrated her 72nd birthday
Now To LoveJul 18, 2019
- TVThe Block NZ's Lisa and Ribz fire back at the 'harsh and nasty' judges
Woman's DayJul 18, 2019
- CareerQueen of tiny: Why I love recreating everything I see in miniature
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyJul 18, 2019
- CompetitionsWin a black and a rose gold Samsung Galaxy Watch Active worth $349 each!
Good Health ChoicesJul 18, 2019
- WeddingsBride quits job to plan her dream wedding and demands her fiancé get a second job
Now To LoveJul 17, 2019
- BodyKaty Perry and Orlando Bloom's new age secret to staying young
Now To LoveJul 17, 2019