Royals

Duchess Kate banned from BAFTA awards over concerns she’ll outshine the celebrities

According to reports, the senior committee staff believe the stunning Duchess of Cambridge could outshine a-list attendees.
Duchess Kate

Prince William, 34, who also happens to be President of the BAFTA awards, had planned to attend the annual film awards in February after having faced criticism for failing to attend the previous two years.

However, it has now emerged that Wills has been instructed by senior staff within the committee to attend the event solo, over concerns that his gorgeous wife Duchess Kate, 35, may “totally distract” from other a-list stars, such as Emily Blunt and Naomie Harris.

Speaking with The Sun, a BAFTA insider revealed: “William has faced serious criticism from the film industry for missing the BAFTAs the last two years, despite being our president.”

“As a result of that feedback, he made it clear he wants to go this year and even bring Kate.”

“It would be a real show of his commitment towards BAFTA and create headlines around the world.”

“But it was then expressed by senior staff within BAFTA that Kate’s attendance will totally distract from all the film stars there.”

Wills and Kate caused quite the scene when they attended the premiere of James Bond film, Spectre.

And with looks like these it’s not hard to see why senior staff thought she might outshine other a-listers!

A second BAFTA source said: “Most people think William will end up getting his way by bringing Kate but it’s created awkwardness because her attendance shouldn’t have been in question.”

It would be Kate’s first time at the British Academy Film Awards – the British equivalent of the Oscars – which is set to take place at the Royal Albert Hall on Sunday, February 12.

BAFTA have since released a statement, dismissing rumours of the awkward row as “nonsense.”

A spokesman said: “For clarity – this is nonsense. As we confirmed last night it’s completely untrue that BAFTA has suggested that our President attend on his own.”

“We would be delighted to welcome Their Royal Highnesses any year that they are able to attend.”

And now we wait… Will Kate attend the Bafta’s after such a snub?

We’ll be tuning in – especially if Kate makes an appearance!

This year, the much-anticipated event will see Aussie Nicole Kidman go head-to-head with the likes of Hayley Squires (I, Daniel Blake), Michelle Williams (Manchester by the Sea), Naomie Harris (Moonlight) and Viola Davis (Fences) for the title of best supporting actress which she has been pegged to win after her stellar performance in the film, Lion.

This marks the 49-year-old’s third BAFTA nomination, having been previously nominated in 1996 and 2002.

Nicole has previously admitted that holds a special place in her heart and is a love letter to her two children, Isabella, 23, and Connor, 21, who she adopted with ex-husband Tom Cruise.

“The movie is a love letter to my children who are adopted and it’s not about anything other than, ‘I wanted you whatever your journey is, I’m here to love and support you.’ That’s what I connected to. I wanted to make the film for them,” she explained to the UK’s Telegraph.

Lion is a moving drama which follows the true story of a young boy adopted by an Australian couple on his search for his birth parents some twenty five years later.

Loading the player...

This story originally appeared on Woman’s Day Australia

Related stories