It's been a wait that has seemed longer than most for dedicated royal fans, but the day finally arrived today, with the birth of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex's baby boy announced on the afternoon of Monday 6th May (the early hours of Tuesday morning in NZ).
While we haven't yet had a glimpse of the wee bub, Prince Harry, 34, told the press that in two days time he and Meghan, 37, will introduce their son to the world, and it's thought they will announce the name of the new royal at the same time.
And, just like us, members of the royal family, celebrities and politicians alike were thrilled about the news, taking to social media to congratulate the new parents.
Prince William and Duchess Catherine shared their excitement to meet the new member of their extended family, regrammed Harry and Meghan's announcement post on Instagram and adding: "The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge are delighted with the news of the birth of The Duke and Duchess of Sussex's son today, and look forward to meeting the latest addition to the family."
At one point it looked like the newborn could have shared the birthday with one of his cousins - Prince Louis just turned one on April 23 and Princess Charlotte celebrated her fourth birthday last week on May 2.
And Queen Elizabeth II is unsurprisingly "delighted" with the news of the birth of her fourth great-grandchild, will be seventh in line for the throne, according to a statement released by Buckingham Palace.
Former US First Lady Michelle Obama was also quick to congratulate Meghan and Harry, taking to Twitter and writing, "Congratulations, Meghan and Harry!"
"Barack and I are so thrilled for both of you and can't wait to meet him. #RoyalBaby"
Other politicians who sent their well-wishes included Hilary Clinton, who tweeted: "Bill and I send our warmest congratulations to Meghan, Harry, and the entire @RoyalFamily for the new addition!
"What a blessing."
And Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, who wrote: "Canada joins the world in celebrating a new addition to the @RoyalFamily!"
"Congratulations, Prince Harry & Meghan! Enjoy every minute of this happy time together as a new family of three."
And Meghan's former Suits co-stars also took to Twitter, with her on-screen husband, Patrick J Adams, tweeting a heartfelt message: "Just heard that the world just got heavier by 7 pounds and 3 ounces."
"Much love to him and his incredible parents.
"Learned first hand 7 months ago how transformational becoming a parent is and couldn't be happier for Meghan and Harry as they begin this adventure."
He finished the tweet with "#playdatesoon".
And another close friend and former co-star on the show Sarah Rafferty also took time out to send her love.
"Hearts are leaping for a beautiful, wondrous and healthy baby boy!," she wrote.
"Sending much love and wishes for every blessing across the pond today and everyday! ❤️"
And, US talk show host Ellen DeGeneres expressed her well-wishes with a bit of humour tweeting, "The #royalbaby is here!"
"Congratulations, Meghan Markle and Prince Harry. The baby is 7th in line for the throne, which is crazy, because right now I'm 7th in line for the key-making kiosk at my grocery store."
Prince Harry was visibly excited during a brief press conference he held to announce his first child's arrival.
The beaming new father said, "I'm very excited to announce that Meghan and myself had a baby boy earlier this morning, a very healthy boy."
"Mother and baby are doing incredibly well. It's been the most amazing experience I could ever have possibly imagined.
"How any woman does what they do is beyond comprehension, but we're both absolutely thrilled and so grateful to all the love and support from everybody out there.
"It's been amazing, so we just wanted to share this with everybody."
Watch the adorable video below.
- RoyalsInside a play date with Prince George and Princess Charlotte at Kensington Palace
Now To LoveToday 3:40pm
- PetsThe online pet product delivery service that just made your life easier
Now To LoveToday 2:00pm
- RoyalsIs this a clue that Duchess Meghan is relaunching her lifestyle blog The Tig?
Now To LoveToday 11:15am
- CareerFrom Shortland Street to water births: Katherine McRae's new focus
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 9:09am
- RoyalsNew book details the lives of the photographers who captured the royals behind closed doors
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 9:00am
- FamilyNadene Lomu's tearful confession: Pushed to breaking point after Jonah's death
Woman's DayToday 7:45am
- Married at First SightMarried at First Sight NZ brides share the details on their wedding dresses
Woman's DayYesterday 4:45pm
- TVThe one thing Jodie Rimmer did on Celebrity Treasure Island that her children made her apologise for
Woman's DayYesterday 8:55am
- At homeThe sensitive skin laundry hack that makes your clothes soft and speeds up drying time
Now To LoveYesterday 8:24am
- EntertainmentWoman's Day Bonds X-Temp hottest media hunk has been crowned
Woman's DayYesterday 8:21am
- RoyalsDuchess Meghan shares an adorable unseen photo from Archie’s christening for Prince Harry’s birthday
Now To LoveYesterday 8:00am
- TVThe top five moments from Celebrity Treasure Island this week
Now To LoveSep 15, 2019
- CareerHelen Mirren on why being old is 'cool' and marriage is great
The Australian Women's WeeklySep 15, 2019
- CompetitionsWin a $500 Countdown voucher to launch your Disney Word tile collection
Woman's DaySep 15, 2019
- BodyDWTS winner Loryn Reynolds' sister can finally dance again after losing a whopping 70kg
Woman's DaySep 14, 2019