Much-acclaimed New Zealand director Taika Waititi has signed on to direct a movie about the life of Bubbles, Michael Jackson’s pet chimpanzee.
The opportunity to direct an animated feature will be a first for the Hunt For The Wilderpeople director, who is reportedly excited by the project.
"It's an idea that fascinates me and one I want to develop further," he said in a statement to Screen Daily.
Taika, who also directed box office hits What We Do In The Shadows and the 2010 award-winning Boy starring James Rolleston said the film wasn’t about Michael Jackson, as such, rather it was more an imagined understanding of the star's life.
"Most people know I'm a huge Michael Jackson fan, so the main thing for me is to make sure it's respectful of him and his legacy. I'm not interested in making a biopic; I want to focus on telling a story that blends fact and fantasy, about an animal trying to make sense of the world.
"This film is not about Michael Jackson because that's not a story for me to tell - or a story I'd be comfortable telling - it's about a chimpanzee's fascinating journey through the complex jungle of human life."
The film will tell the story through Bubbles perspective - Michael Jackson’s pet chimpanzee the star adopted from a rescue centre in 1983.
The Kiwi director will work with Mark Gustafan, who was the animation director on Wes Anderson’s stop motion feature Fantastic Mr Fox. The script was written by Isaac Adamson and the film will be produced by Dan Harmon, who created the television comedy series Community.
Taika is currently in post-production for his new Marvel superhero movie Thor: Ragnarok which is due out later this year.
- MoneyMoney expert Mary Holm reveals how much money you really need in the bank when you retire - and it's not as much as you think
The Australian Women's WeeklyToday 12:10pm
- RoyalsFlower arranging and cute cookies: Inside Duchess Meghan's gorgeous baby shower
Now To LoveToday 10:00am
- BodyKiwi teen's bizarre diagnosis: 'You have a plant growing in your ear'
Now To LoveToday 8:20am
- RoyalsWho are all the celebrity guests at Duchess Meghan's baby shower?
Now To LoveYesterday 3:00pm
- Parenting NewsZoe Marshall urges: don't kiss other people's babies on the mouth
Now To LoveYesterday 1:31pm
- RoyalsBeyonce and JAY-Z just made a surprising tribute to Duchess Meghan in their Brit Awards acceptance speech
Now To LoveYesterday 12:05pm
- Celebrity NewsCoro Street's new bad girl - Connie Hyde reveals what it's like playing Sally's sister Gina
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyYesterday 9:22am
- TVSir David Attenborough the legend: how he's still producing groundbreaking TV series at age 92
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyYesterday 9:00am
- RoyalsSerena Williams joins Duchess Meghan for a night out in New York City
Now To LoveYesterday 8:30am
- Married at First SightMAFS' Elizabeth and Bronson speak out about the developing affair between Sam and Ines
Now To LoveYesterday 8:00am
- Celebrity NewsLady Gaga has called off her engagement to Christian Carino
Now To LoveFeb 20, 2019