It might seem counter intuitive. He's British, he's famous for the Twilight saga, he's been in Harry Potter and his best feature is his particularly voluminous hair, which would be covered by a Batman mask. But a source tells Variety that Robert Pattinson is in final talks to be the next man to play Bruce Wayne.
Though the casting hasn't yet been finalised, and Warner Brothers is yet to comment, The Batman is scheduled to be released on June 25th, 2021. The film is being directed by Matt Reeves, also responsible for War for the Planet of the Apes and Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, both well received and highly rated action movies.
Already, reactions to the news the Brit might play the dark knight have been... mixed, with one Twitter user simply saying "no."
But consider this: his role as immortal vampire Edward Cullen in Twilight packed his resume with ample skulking, moping and bat-related activities like sucking blood and playing baseball. His Twilight character even had his real parents die in a tragic "being human" and "dying of old-age" accident, so he has experience playing an orphan. Plus, his Twilight stint gives him serious emo cred so he can really put the goth in Gotham.
The crucial overlaps between batman and Edward Cullen though? Being very, very intense, talking in a funny, low voice and appearing and disappearing like a creepy Houdini jack-in-the-box. The proof is all through Twilight: Pattinson's got this.
Discerning fans might even notice that Matt Reeve's own CV includes experience directing vampires, with his adaption of Swedish vampire film, Let the Right One In, Let Me In with Chloë Grace Moretz. So maybe this iteration of Batman will be a little more vampy?
Love it or hate it, take a look at all the previous Batmans from George Clooney to Christian Bale to Ben Affleck and you'll see that all that really matters about a good Batman casting is the jawline. Inspect this man's face and see for yourself: Check.
Either way, it looks like R-Batz is happening. I just hope they find a way not to cover his hair.
- Celebrity NewsJay-Jay Feeney and Paul Flynn: our perfect friendship
Woman's DayJan 08, 2021
- CompetitionsWin a double pass to our exclusive screening of Penguin Bloom
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyDec 27, 2020
- Celebrity NewsRobert Rakete's Christmas plans: 'It'll be a breeze!'
Woman's DayDec 25, 2020
- Celebrity NewsJase, Toni & Sam get festive with their four-legged friends
Woman's DayDec 21, 2020
- FamilyThe Terrace at Sylvia Park - what's on offer at this new dining destination
Now To LoveDec 16, 2020
- Celebrity NewsShortland Street's Ben Barrington and Ngahuia Piripi's Christmas celebrations
Woman's DayDec 16, 2020
- Celebrity NewsWendy Petrie and Matty McLean's festive cheer: 'Our hearts are so full'
Woman's DayDec 15, 2020
- Celebrity NewsKanoa Lloyd and Mike McRoberts' best Christmas ever
Woman's DayDec 14, 2020
- Celebrity NewsSoon I’ll be a dad to three under three! Sam Wallace shares his hopes and fears
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyDec 11, 2020
- Celebrity NewsCarolyn Keep's little miracle: 'The baby I never thought I'd have'
Woman's DayDec 10, 2020
- RoyalsMeghan Markle reveals she miscarried her second child in a powerful personal essay
Now To LoveNov 26, 2020
- CompetitionsWin a Farro Hamper and a double pass to Happiest Season
Now To LoveNov 25, 2020
- CompetitionsWin the Ultimate Teeth Whitening Prize Pack thanks to Colgate Optic White
Woman's DayNov 23, 2020