It might seem counter intuitive. He's British, he's famous for the Twilight saga, he's been in Harry Potter and his best feature is his particularly voluminous hair, which would be covered by a Batman mask. But a source tells Variety that Robert Pattinson is in final talks to be the next man to play Bruce Wayne.
Though the casting hasn't yet been finalised, and Warner Brothers is yet to comment, The Batman is scheduled to be released on June 25th, 2021. The film is being directed by Matt Reeves, also responsible for War for the Planet of the Apes and Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, both well received and highly rated action movies.
Already, reactions to the news the Brit might play the dark knight have been... mixed, with one Twitter user simply saying "no."
But consider this: his role as immortal vampire Edward Cullen in Twilight packed his resume with ample skulking, moping and bat-related activities like sucking blood and playing baseball. His Twilight character even had his real parents die in a tragic "being human" and "dying of old-age" accident, so he has experience playing an orphan. Plus, his Twilight stint gives him serious emo cred so he can really put the goth in Gotham.
The crucial overlaps between batman and Edward Cullen though? Being very, very intense, talking in a funny, low voice and appearing and disappearing like a creepy Houdini jack-in-the-box. The proof is all through Twilight: Pattinson's got this.
Discerning fans might even notice that Matt Reeve's own CV includes experience directing vampires, with his adaption of Swedish vampire film, Let the Right One In, Let Me In with Chloë Grace Moretz. So maybe this iteration of Batman will be a little more vampy?
Love it or hate it, take a look at all the previous Batmans from George Clooney to Christian Bale to Ben Affleck and you'll see that all that really matters about a good Batman casting is the jawline. Inspect this man's face and see for yourself: Check.
Either way, it looks like R-Batz is happening. I just hope they find a way not to cover his hair.
- RoyalsPrince Philip, the Duke of Edinburgh, has died aged 99
Now To LoveApr 09, 2021
- TVPopstars panel tells all: Rock regrets, secret crushes and dad jokes!
Woman's DayApr 09, 2021
- Celebrity NewsIron Mike's magic milestone: 'I'm finally in a good space!'
Woman's DayApr 07, 2021
- TVBachelorettes' show down: Our last-ditch effort to woo Moses
Woman's DayMar 30, 2021
- TVBachelor babes bare all: 'Our lives have changed forever'
Woman's DayMar 29, 2021
- Celebrity NewsSmitten but sleep-deprived! Sam Wallace and fiancée Sarah are on double duty
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyMar 26, 2021
- Celebrity NewsKiwi stunt star Zoë Bell talks brain injuries and break-ups
Woman's DayMar 24, 2021
- TVThe Bachelorette NZ's Lexie and Hamish are moving in together!
Woman's DayMar 11, 2021
- TVHit single Moses: 'I didn't think I deserved love!'
Woman's DayMar 09, 2021
- TVHere are the queens competing in RuPaul's Drag Race Down Under
Now To LoveMar 07, 2021