It's been 32 years, but fans are finally getting their sequel to Top Gun.
Top Gun: Maverick began filming at the end of May and is due to be released in July 2019.
The film is bringing Tom Cruise back in one of his most iconic roles — Maverick — and reuniting him with the original's producer, Jerry Bruckheimer. Joining them from the original is Val Kilmer, who is reprising the role of Iceman.
Tom, of course, hasn't been idle since 1986, having starred in 34 movies, the latest of which, Mission Impossible: Fallout, is a huge action hit and the sixth installment in the MI series. It also included his most dangerous stunt to date - a downward spiral in a helicopter on location in New Zealand.
Tom's schedule, according to Jerry, is part of the reason why it's taken so long for Top Gun: Maverick to finally get into production. "Fortunately for Tom, he's very busy," Bruckheimer told The Huffington Post, "so you have to find a slot he can fit into and get a budget that Paramount feels they can make the picture." Needless to say, Paramount found that all the parts fit.
Details around the plot are scarce, but Bruckheimer has released a few details, saying "the concept is, basically, are the pilots obsolete because of drones? Cruise is going to show them that they're not obsolete. They're here to stay."
Here's everything we know so far about Top Gun: Maverick.
1 / 0
2 / 0
3 / 0
4 / 0
5 / 0
6 / 0
7 / 0
8 / 0
9 / 0
- FamilyReal Housewives of Auckland's Anne Batley-Burton on the sad secret to her business success
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 8:15am
- MindJo Seagar on the importance of talking about death
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 8:00am
- FamilyThese inspiring people are our individual 'Grandparent of the year' winners
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 4:00pm
- RoyalsAnother royal wedding: All the details from Lady Gabriella Windsor’s gorgeous nuptials
Now To LoveToday 1:20pm
- TVNadia Lim admits Dancing With The Stars is 'the biggest challenge I've ever taken on'
Woman's DayToday 1:00pm
- PetsMeet NZ's most lovable rescue pet: Tinkerbelle 'the wobble dog'
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 7:45am
- CareerAlexandria Ocasio-Cortez and the band of women shaking up America
The Australian Women's WeeklyYesterday 12:00pm
- RoyalsHappy 1st wedding anniversary Prince Harry and Duchess Meghan! A timeline of their beautiful love story
Now To LoveYesterday 10:00am
- FamilyDancing with the Stars judge Rachel White on why NZ has a special place in her heart
Woman's DayYesterday 8:00am
- FamilyDear Thomasin and Davida: Miranda Harcourt's open letter to her daughters
The Australian Women's WeeklyMay 18, 2019
- MindThree women share their inspiring journeys towards empowerment, self-healing and learning to forgive
Good Health ChoicesMay 18, 2019
- FertilityAfter $70,000 spent on IVF Sharee Welch can finally hold her miracle twins
Woman's DayMay 18, 2019