It's been 32 years, but fans are finally getting their sequel to Top Gun.
Top Gun: Maverick began filming at the end of May and is due to be released in July 2019.
The film is bringing Tom Cruise back in one of his most iconic roles — Maverick — and reuniting him with the original's producer, Jerry Bruckheimer. Joining them from the original is Val Kilmer, who is reprising the role of Iceman.
Tom, of course, hasn't been idle since 1986, having starred in 34 movies, the latest of which, Mission Impossible: Fallout, is a huge action hit and the sixth installment in the MI series. It also included his most dangerous stunt to date - a downward spiral in a helicopter on location in New Zealand.
Tom's schedule, according to Jerry, is part of the reason why it's taken so long for Top Gun: Maverick to finally get into production. "Fortunately for Tom, he's very busy," Bruckheimer told The Huffington Post, "so you have to find a slot he can fit into and get a budget that Paramount feels they can make the picture." Needless to say, Paramount found that all the parts fit.
Details around the plot are scarce, but Bruckheimer has released a few details, saying "the concept is, basically, are the pilots obsolete because of drones? Cruise is going to show them that they're not obsolete. They're here to stay."
Here's everything we know so far about Top Gun: Maverick.
1 / 0
2 / 0
3 / 0
4 / 0
5 / 0
6 / 0
7 / 0
8 / 0
9 / 0
- BodyDr Libby on why we're overusing the word 'stressed' and how we should really be thinking about the term
Good Health ChoicesToday 12:00pm
- Family50 years on from the Manson murders Debra Tate speaks out about her sister Sharon's murder
The Australian Women's WeeklyToday 10:00am
- TVHow Athena Angelou went from homeless to radio star in just a few short years
Woman's DayToday 7:55am
- Diet & NutritionHow to ensure you're putting the most nutritious grocery options in your trolley
Good Health ChoicesYesterday 12:00pm
- CareerWhy Jennifer Aniston is looking to the future with a new focus
Now To LoveYesterday 9:00am
- TVThe Block NZ favourites Ethan and Sam: 'We had a rough run but we stayed true to ourselves'
Woman's DayYesterday 7:30am
- RoyalsPrince Harry shares more details about his upcoming mental health TV series with Oprah
Now To LoveSep 20, 2019
- CareerMy life is stranger than fiction says NZ Children's Book Awards winner Bren MacDibble
New Zealand Woman's WeeklySep 20, 2019
- TVThe Block NZ winners Lisa and Ribz reveal their post-show plans
Woman's DaySep 20, 2019
- MindWhy Shortland Street's Ana Scotney was forced to quit social media
Woman's DaySep 19, 2019
- CareerTech-savvy granny: Meet Val, a social media queen at 90
New Zealand Woman's WeeklySep 19, 2019
- CompetitionsWin one of five prize packs from Arnott’s worth $100
Good Health ChoicesSep 19, 2019