A shocking accident turned MAFS Australia groom Sam Ball's world upside down last December when he was impaled on a wrought-iron fence after falling from the roof of his house. The gruesome mishap happened just months after filming for Married At First Sight came to an end.
The Sydney tradie was trying to find a way inside after losing his keys, but lost his footing and landed on a 25cm-long spike below. Sam's panicked friends called an ambulance – but he quickly feared the worst.
"I thought I was dead," Sam, 26, told TV WEEK. "Looking at the fear in my friends' eyes and them telling me it was going to be OK… I thought, 'I'm done here'. It wasn't good."
Fortunately, Sam was able to have a blood transfusion, followed by emergency surgery on his thigh.
He was then bedridden for a week.
"It [the spike] hit the thickest part of my leg," Sam explains. "But if I'd landed any lower on it and penetrated an artery, I would have been dead in three minutes."
Sam was cleared to return to work five weeks later. But he was dealt a further blow when his wound became infected, forcing him to spend another week in hospital in January.
The gym fanatic admits that putting his active lifestyle on hold has been a struggle.
"Maybe it's life's way of telling me to slow down," he says. "It's definitely affecting me. I can't wait to get back [to the gym]."
Sam's wedding to Elizabeth aired last night, with the participant saying he was looking forward to finding 'the one.'
The handsome groom says he's struggled to find the right partner in the past, because he is often misunderstood for a player on the dating scene.
However things didn't get off to the best of starts, with Sam saying after the ceremony that he's "never really dated girls as big as Elizabeth in the past."
- RoyalsInside a play date with Prince George and Princess Charlotte at Kensington Palace
Now To LoveYesterday 3:40pm
- PetsThe online pet product delivery service that just made your life easier
Now To LoveYesterday 2:00pm
- RoyalsIs this a clue that Duchess Meghan is relaunching her lifestyle blog The Tig?
Now To LoveYesterday 11:15am
- CareerFrom Shortland Street to water births: Katherine McRae's new focus
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyYesterday 9:09am
- RoyalsNew book details the lives of the photographers who captured the royals behind closed doors
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyYesterday 9:00am
- FamilyNadene Lomu's tearful confession: Pushed to breaking point after Jonah's death
Woman's DayYesterday 7:45am
- EntertainmentWoman's Day Bonds X-Temp hottest media hunk has been crowned
Woman's DaySep 16, 2019
- TVThe top five moments from Celebrity Treasure Island this week
Now To LoveSep 15, 2019
- CareerHelen Mirren on why being old is 'cool' and marriage is great
The Australian Women's WeeklySep 15, 2019