A shocking accident turned MAFS Australia groom Sam Ball's world upside down last December when he was impaled on a wrought-iron fence after falling from the roof of his house. The gruesome mishap happened just months after filming for Married At First Sight came to an end.
The Sydney tradie was trying to find a way inside after losing his keys, but lost his footing and landed on a 25cm-long spike below. Sam's panicked friends called an ambulance – but he quickly feared the worst.
"I thought I was dead," Sam, 26, told TV WEEK. "Looking at the fear in my friends' eyes and them telling me it was going to be OK… I thought, 'I'm done here'. It wasn't good."
Fortunately, Sam was able to have a blood transfusion, followed by emergency surgery on his thigh.
He was then bedridden for a week.
"It [the spike] hit the thickest part of my leg," Sam explains. "But if I'd landed any lower on it and penetrated an artery, I would have been dead in three minutes."
Sam was cleared to return to work five weeks later. But he was dealt a further blow when his wound became infected, forcing him to spend another week in hospital in January.
The gym fanatic admits that putting his active lifestyle on hold has been a struggle.
"Maybe it's life's way of telling me to slow down," he says. "It's definitely affecting me. I can't wait to get back [to the gym]."
Sam's wedding to Elizabeth aired last night, with the participant saying he was looking forward to finding 'the one.'
The handsome groom says he's struggled to find the right partner in the past, because he is often misunderstood for a player on the dating scene.
However things didn't get off to the best of starts, with Sam saying after the ceremony that he's "never really dated girls as big as Elizabeth in the past."
- BodyRadio host Sarah Gandy has been diagnosed with breast cancer
Now To LoveToday 12:13pm
- RoyalsDuchess Meghan has jetted off to New York for her baby shower
Now To LoveToday 11:36am
- FertilityTips for couples who are trying to conceive and not pregnant yet
Now To LoveToday 11:19am
- Pregnancy & BirthGemma McCaw's praise for the midwife who delivered baby Charlotte
Woman's DayToday 7:00am
- MoneyOnline shopping fails - Kiwi consumers' hilarious tales
Now To LoveYesterday 4:00pm
- Celebrity NewsHarper Beckham and Anna Wintour's priceless twinning moment
Now To LoveYesterday 2:28pm
- RoyalsPrince William and Prince Harry are reportedly splitting their royal household after 10 years together
Now To LoveYesterday 12:15pm
- RoyalsHappy Birthday Prince Andrew: 7 things you may not know about the Duke of York
Now To LoveYesterday 9:30am
- Destinations CitiesThe all-women Bali retreat that saved my soul after my fiancé left me
The Australian Women's WeeklyFeb 17, 2019
- BodyWhy Olivia Newton-John isn't letting battling cancer for the third time get her down
Good Health ChoicesFeb 17, 2019
- Married at First SightMAFS baby on board? Reports suggest this bride is already pregnant
Now To LoveFeb 17, 2019