The sizzling secret affair that has been playing over the past few weeks of Married at First Sight Australia finally came to a head last night during an explosive commitment ceremony in which Sam Ball was forced to reveal all about his 'affair' with Ines Basic to his wife Elizabeth Sobinoff.
Couple-swapping has always been a ratings hit in past seasons - who can forget the Dean and Davina affair of last season - and we're told this latest couple swap has been in the works since the beginning of this season.
A series insider reveals, "The producers recognised that Sam was the most handsome groom and that would make him a target for the other wives. At some point in the first couple of weeks of the experiment, they told him they would make a swap work if there was someone he liked."
A second source backs up the arrangement allegation, saying producers held meetings with Sam, 26 – who was matched with Elizabeth Sobinoff – to talk about how the "affair" would play out and how they could spin the best story from it.
"They wanted to make them like Dean [Wells] and Davina [Rankin] from the start," reports the source.
"Sam played along with the plan because he knew it would be the biggest story of the show. They said, 'Look, we know you're not into Liz. Why not give it a go with Ines instead and see where that could lead?' So they basically asked Sam to pretend to like her, while Ines, on the other hand, had no idea it was all for show. She had genuine feelings."
Ines, 28 – who was paired with ex-stripper Bronson Norrish and infamously referred to Sam as "my kind of snack" – quickly became the most hated woman on the show and has since fallen victim to a wave of online abuse that has reportedly driven her into hiding.
A friend of the legal assistant says she's cut herself off from friends and castmates, and is "living like a recluse" in her Brisbane home.
The pal adds, "She's lost about 12kg since filming finished – and she was tiny to begin with. Everyone's really worried about her."
- RelationshipsThe incredible love story of this Kiwi soldier and his Slovenian heroine, who met through a barbed wire fence at a POW camp
The Australian Women's WeeklyToday 12:00pm
- Diet & NutritionFibre 101: Everything you need to know about this essential dietary component
Good Health ChoicesToday 10:00am
- RoyalsWhy the Queen allowed Duchess Catherine to break protocol and kiss her in public
Now To LoveYesterday 3:18pm
- RoyalsPrincess Eugenie’s latest outfit has a sweet connection to her royal wedding last year
Now To LoveYesterday 11:45am
- Real LifeA Christchurch surgeon describes what it was like to be working on the day of the mosque attacks
The Australian Women's WeeklyYesterday 10:00am
- RoyalsSee the vibrant flower that's been named after Baby Archie
Now To LoveYesterday 9:30am
- Pregnancy & BirthNewshub's Melissa Davies is pregnant with her first child
Now To LoveYesterday 9:08am
- RoyalsDid Prince William just accidentally reveal his nickname for Princess Charlotte?
Now To LoveMay 23, 2019
- RoyalsAll the times Prince Louis looked just like his big brother Prince George
Now To LoveMay 23, 2019
- FamilyA foster family's heartbreak as the young man they took in as a baby develops more and more serious health problems
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyMay 23, 2019
- CompetitionsWin a 6 months’ supply of ChildLife vitamins and supplements for a healthy winter
Good Health ChoicesMay 23, 2019