29-year-old Matthew Bennett applied for Married At First Sight to put himself out there, in the hopes of falling in love for the first time ever.
The shy videographer admits he was "nervous" to tell the entire nation about his virginity, and was even more concerned about revealing the news to his new bride Lauren.
But with a romantic Byron Bay wedding, and a quiet escape to South Australia's McLaren Vale for his honeymoon, Matthew grew to feel more comfortable with Lauren, who he's now affectionately calling "Loz." A lot more comfortable.
After struggling throughout the honeymoon with anxiety about intimacy, Matthew opened up to Lauren on the final night of their honeymoon, revealing very personal and difficult details from his past that caused him to lose confidence and develop a "fear of being intimate."
In an interview with TV WEEK, Matthew reveals that it was this honest conversation with Lauren that led him to realise she was 'the one' to lose his virginity to.
"I took a chance and really opened up to her about the traumatic experience I had and what really led me to closing myself off and having these issues with being intimate and vulnerable," Matthew tells. "She really understood and was compassionate and kind. There was a definite connection there.
"I definitely felt closer to her, I felt a lot more comfortable. There was this compassionate kind woman who's been really supportive. We had this special moment and it definitely brought us closer."
Though he lost his virginity on reality TV, Matthew says he's not about to become an extrovert who loves talking about his sex life.
"I don't feel anything has really changed because I'm not the kind of person that would talk about it anyway. A gentleman never tells," he reveals. "It hasn't really changed me as a person.
"I'm not going in to details but it was a special moment between Lauren and I and something I want to keep private. I'm not one to talk about those kind of things."
- RoyalsInside a play date with Prince George and Princess Charlotte at Kensington Palace
Now To LoveToday 3:40pm
- PetsThe online pet product delivery service that just made your life easier
Now To LoveToday 2:00pm
- RoyalsIs this a clue that Duchess Meghan is relaunching her lifestyle blog The Tig?
Now To LoveToday 11:15am
- CareerFrom Shortland Street to water births: Katherine McRae's new focus
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 9:09am
- RoyalsNew book details the lives of the photographers who captured the royals behind closed doors
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 9:00am
- FamilyNadene Lomu's tearful confession: Pushed to breaking point after Jonah's death
Woman's DayToday 7:45am
- Married at First SightMarried at First Sight NZ brides share the details on their wedding dresses
Woman's DayYesterday 4:45pm
- TVThe one thing Jodie Rimmer did on Celebrity Treasure Island that her children made her apologise for
Woman's DayYesterday 8:55am
- At homeThe sensitive skin laundry hack that makes your clothes soft and speeds up drying time
Now To LoveYesterday 8:24am
- EntertainmentWoman's Day Bonds X-Temp hottest media hunk has been crowned
Woman's DayYesterday 8:21am
- RoyalsDuchess Meghan shares an adorable unseen photo from Archie’s christening for Prince Harry’s birthday
Now To LoveYesterday 8:00am
- TVThe top five moments from Celebrity Treasure Island this week
Now To LoveSep 15, 2019
- CareerHelen Mirren on why being old is 'cool' and marriage is great
The Australian Women's WeeklySep 15, 2019
- CompetitionsWin a $500 Countdown voucher to launch your Disney Word tile collection
Woman's DaySep 15, 2019
- BodyDWTS winner Loryn Reynolds' sister can finally dance again after losing a whopping 70kg
Woman's DaySep 14, 2019