For Married At First Sight participant Jessika Power, finding a partner and starting a family is a top priority.
However, the stakes are even higher for the bride-to-be who admits she had an unsettled family upbringing.
The 26-year-old revealed on the show that she grew up without her biological father in her life after he and her mother divorced when she was very young.
"Growing up I didn't have the best upbringing," she said. "My mum and my dad divorced when I was one and then my mum moved to Western Australia, because she said it was the furthest away she could get from him. I didn't have a strong father figure when I needed it the most growing up. That was hard."
Sadly, that wasn't the full story of her family estrangement.
When her wedding to Mick aired, fans were left wondering why Jessika's mother didn't attend. Jessika has revealed to TV WEEK that it's because her mum isn't in her life anymore.
When her mother remarried, Jessika was lucky enough to grow up with a supportive stepfather. Unfortunately, however, her relationship with her mother deteriorated over time.
"Me and Mum don't talk," the administration officer and part-time model reveals. "All we did was argue. So one day, I just turned around and was like, 'Let's just cut it.' Ever since then, I've been a lot happier."
Jessika is also adamant her mother won't be involved should she find her perfect match and decide to start a family of her own.
"I don't hold any hatred towards her, but our relationship is too far gone," she says. "I don't miss not having a mum in my life."
In happier news, Jessika is thrilled to have reunited with her biological father, Troy. The pair reconnected six years ago and she says it's been "amazing getting to know him".
"We now talk twice a day, she says. "He's the most beautiful man I've ever met.
Troy walked Jessika down the aisle at her wedding on MAFS, but she reveals she'd also like her stepfather to be involved if she has a 'real' wedding after the show.
"In the real world, I'd have both my dad and stepfather walk me down the aisle."
It remains to be seen whether that 'real' wedding will be legally marrying Mick, or whether it will be a new man
- WeddingsDying bride's perfect day: My final dream has come true
Woman's DayToday 2:25pm
- RoyalsPrince Harry's trick to beating a heatwave? ‘Budgie smugglers’, he says
Now To LoveToday 1:00pm
- TVWhat drove these celebs to sign up for Celebrity Treasure Island
Woman's DayToday 12:35pm
- Pregnancy & BirthWhy model Ashley Graham's baby bump photo has got everyone talking
Now To LoveToday 12:07pm
- RoyalsDuchess Catherine honours this lucky nine-year-old to celebrate World Photography Day
Now To LoveToday 11:15am
- CareerI loved him like a son: Phil Kingsley Jones remembers Jonah Lomu in his final years
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 9:29am
- TVMatty McLean says he's lived some of his proudest moments on Celebrity Treasure Island
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 9:09am
- TVThe redemption of former All Black Zac Guildford on Celebrity Treasure Island
Now To LoveYesterday 8:45pm
- TVKarl Burnett quits Celebrity Treasure Island as mental health suffers
Now To LoveYesterday 8:30pm
- Married at First SightMAFS' Cyrell Paule is expecting a baby with Love Island's Eden Dally
Now To LoveYesterday 1:21pm
- Pregnancy & BirthAll the gorgeous details from Samantha Hayes’ 'beautiful' baby shower
Now To LoveYesterday 12:17pm
- TVFour curious things we've learned about the stars on Celebrity Treasure Island
Now To LoveYesterday 10:42am
- TVThe first trailer for Married at First Sight NZ has been released and it's utter chaos
Now To LoveYesterday 9:48am
- RoyalsDuchess Meghan and Prince Harry jet off on another family holiday to the south of France
Now To LoveYesterday 9:15am
- FamilyWhy Karl Burnett is hoping to be voted off Celebrity Treasure Island
Woman's DayYesterday 8:30am