For Married At First Sight participant Jessika Power, finding a partner and starting a family is a top priority.
However, the stakes are even higher for the bride-to-be who admits she had an unsettled family upbringing.
The 26-year-old revealed on the show that she grew up without her biological father in her life after he and her mother divorced when she was very young.
"Growing up I didn't have the best upbringing," she said. "My mum and my dad divorced when I was one and then my mum moved to Western Australia, because she said it was the furthest away she could get from him. I didn't have a strong father figure when I needed it the most growing up. That was hard."
Sadly, that wasn't the full story of her family estrangement.
When her wedding to Mick aired, fans were left wondering why Jessika's mother didn't attend. Jessika has revealed to TV WEEK that it's because her mum isn't in her life anymore.
When her mother remarried, Jessika was lucky enough to grow up with a supportive stepfather. Unfortunately, however, her relationship with her mother deteriorated over time.
"Me and Mum don't talk," the administration officer and part-time model reveals. "All we did was argue. So one day, I just turned around and was like, 'Let's just cut it.' Ever since then, I've been a lot happier."
Jessika is also adamant her mother won't be involved should she find her perfect match and decide to start a family of her own.
"I don't hold any hatred towards her, but our relationship is too far gone," she says. "I don't miss not having a mum in my life."
In happier news, Jessika is thrilled to have reunited with her biological father, Troy. The pair reconnected six years ago and she says it's been "amazing getting to know him".
"We now talk twice a day, she says. "He's the most beautiful man I've ever met.
Troy walked Jessika down the aisle at her wedding on MAFS, but she reveals she'd also like her stepfather to be involved if she has a 'real' wedding after the show.
"In the real world, I'd have both my dad and stepfather walk me down the aisle."
It remains to be seen whether that 'real' wedding will be legally marrying Mick, or whether it will be a new man
- RoyalsPrince William’s romantic surprise on Kate Middleton’s birthday
Now To LoveJan 17, 2022
- RoyalsThe Queen has stripped Prince Andrew of his military titles and royal patronages
Now To LoveJan 14, 2022
- Celebrity NewsAt home with Dame Kiri: 'You'll never want to leave!'
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyJan 13, 2022
- Real LifeOne-armed Kiwi dancer Brylee Mills reveals why her disability won't stop her
Woman's DayJan 13, 2022
- RoyalsDuchess Catherine’s portrait photographer, Paolo Roversi, reveals Prince William and the kids’ favourite photo, plus special behind the scenes details
The Australian Women's WeeklyJan 13, 2022
- Celebrity NewsChris and Mel Cairns: 'We're in this battle together'
Woman's DayJan 13, 2022
- Celebrity NewsIn memoriam: Paying tribute to the stars we have sadly lost in 2022
Now To LoveJan 11, 2022
- RoyalsThree new portraits of Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge have been released to mark her milestone 40th birthday
The Australian Women's WeeklyJan 09, 2022