She stood by and watched as her TV husband Sam cheated on her with Ines, but Elizabeth enjoyed a romance with another groom herself – Nic!
Sources have told Woman's Day that the unlikely pair dated in real life before they went on the show, when they were both living in New South Wales.
"Nic and Lizzie actually matched on Tinder before they were cast on MAFS and started messaging each other," a source dishes.
"Nic was super-keen on her and asked her out on a date immediately."
The pair were apparently dating for a while before the relationship fizzled out and they stopped contact altogether.
That is, until their paths crossed again during the first MAFS dinner party, leaving them both absolutely "gobsmacked".
"They were shocked when they saw each other but introduced themselves and began chatting as if they were total strangers. Nic, who married Cyrell on the show, eventually addressed the elephant in the room and said, 'Oh my God, I've met you before, I know you from somewhere.'"
The source says the pair tried to downplay their history, and told contestants they knew each other through mutual friends.
Despite there being no bad blood between the pair, things apparently turned sour when Lizzie, 27, heard that Nic, also 27, was blasting her behind her back to the other MAFS grooms and bragging about how he had dumped her after only one date because she was "a bigger girl than he had thought".
No doubt the news of Lizzie and Nic's secret romance would come as a major blow to Cyrell, 29, who is best friends with Lizzie.
Cyrell had a string of failed relationships before going on the show, including a broken engagement, and her brother Ivan is fiercely protective of her because he doesn't want to see his sister hurt again.
"Cyrell would absolutely lose it if she found out that Lizzie had not only dated Nic but had lied to her considering how strongly she's defended her on the show," a source says.
"Cyrell kept asking Lizzie to double date, but Lizzie kept making up excuses why she and Sam couldn't. But the real reason was she was trying to avoid an awkward situation with Nic."
Nic and Lizzie aren't the only MAFS contestants who have a romantic past. New bride Tamara matched with Michael on Tinder and they were hooking up for a number of months before the show began.
But the MAFS six degrees of separation doesn't end there! We're also told Ines dated newbie Dan's best friend, Michael dated Martha's bridesmaid, and Dino worked with Jessika and Bronson before the show, too. Talk about a small world!
- RoyalsKiwi royal Gary Lewis has split from Lady Davina Windsor
Now To LoveToday 8:45am
- Pregnancy & BirthShortland Street star Laurel Devenie's perfectly-timed pregnancy
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 8:25am
- Married at First SightMarried at First Sight's Melissa is on the hunt for a Kiwi bachelor
Woman's DayToday 8:20am
- RoyalsDuchess Meghan's first appearance after her maternity leave has been revealed
Now To LoveYesterday 12:30pm
- Married at First SightDevastating news as MAFS' Nic reveals his cancer has returned
Now To LoveYesterday 11:28am
- FamilyKatie Holmes and her daughter Suri bond with women and children at a refugee camp in Greece
Now To LoveYesterday 10:42am
- FamilyGemma McCaw on the importance of being a role model for your children
Woman's DayYesterday 10:30am
- BodyMeet Caleb Wright - the 12-year-old brain cancer sufferer bringing laughter to other sick kids
Woman's DayYesterday 8:45am
- Married at First SightMarried at First Sight's Tamara and Mick get cosy off screen
Now To LoveYesterday 8:33am
- Mind4 reasons why embracing boredom could change your life for the better
Good Health ChoicesYesterday 8:30am
- Diet & Nutrition'I Quit Sugar' author Sarah Wilson talks diet, anxiety and going back-to-basics
Good Health ChoicesYesterday 8:00am
- BodyHow this woman came up with a way to help women struggling with PCOS take control
Good Health ChoicesYesterday 7:45am
- BodyHow to understand your body clock for the best quality sleep
Good Health ChoicesMar 24, 2019