She stood by and watched as her TV husband Sam cheated on her with Ines, but Elizabeth enjoyed a romance with another groom herself – Nic!
Sources have told Woman's Day that the unlikely pair dated in real life before they went on the show, when they were both living in New South Wales.
"Nic and Lizzie actually matched on Tinder before they were cast on MAFS and started messaging each other," a source dishes.
"Nic was super-keen on her and asked her out on a date immediately."
The pair were apparently dating for a while before the relationship fizzled out and they stopped contact altogether.
That is, until their paths crossed again during the first MAFS dinner party, leaving them both absolutely "gobsmacked".
"They were shocked when they saw each other but introduced themselves and began chatting as if they were total strangers. Nic, who married Cyrell on the show, eventually addressed the elephant in the room and said, 'Oh my God, I've met you before, I know you from somewhere.'"
The source says the pair tried to downplay their history, and told contestants they knew each other through mutual friends.
Despite there being no bad blood between the pair, things apparently turned sour when Lizzie, 27, heard that Nic, also 27, was blasting her behind her back to the other MAFS grooms and bragging about how he had dumped her after only one date because she was "a bigger girl than he had thought".
No doubt the news of Lizzie and Nic's secret romance would come as a major blow to Cyrell, 29, who is best friends with Lizzie.
Cyrell had a string of failed relationships before going on the show, including a broken engagement, and her brother Ivan is fiercely protective of her because he doesn't want to see his sister hurt again.
"Cyrell would absolutely lose it if she found out that Lizzie had not only dated Nic but had lied to her considering how strongly she's defended her on the show," a source says.
"Cyrell kept asking Lizzie to double date, but Lizzie kept making up excuses why she and Sam couldn't. But the real reason was she was trying to avoid an awkward situation with Nic."
Nic and Lizzie aren't the only MAFS contestants who have a romantic past. New bride Tamara matched with Michael on Tinder and they were hooking up for a number of months before the show began.
But the MAFS six degrees of separation doesn't end there! We're also told Ines dated newbie Dan's best friend, Michael dated Martha's bridesmaid, and Dino worked with Jessika and Bronson before the show, too. Talk about a small world!
- PetsThe online pet product delivery service that just made your life easier
Now To LoveToday 2:00pm
- RoyalsIs this a clue that Duchess Meghan is relaunching her lifestyle blog The Tig?
Now To LoveToday 11:15am
- CareerFrom Shortland Street to water births: Katherine McRae's new focus
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 9:09am
- RoyalsNew book details the lives of the photographers who captured the royals behind closed doors
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 9:00am
- FamilyNadene Lomu's tearful confession: Pushed to breaking point after Jonah's death
Woman's DayToday 7:45am
- Married at First SightMarried at First Sight NZ brides share the details on their wedding dresses
Woman's DayYesterday 4:45pm
- TVThe one thing Jodie Rimmer did on Celebrity Treasure Island that her children made her apologise for
Woman's DayYesterday 8:55am
- At homeThe sensitive skin laundry hack that makes your clothes soft and speeds up drying time
Now To LoveYesterday 8:24am
- EntertainmentWoman's Day Bonds X-Temp hottest media hunk has been crowned
Woman's DayYesterday 8:21am
- RoyalsDuchess Meghan shares an adorable unseen photo from Archie’s christening for Prince Harry’s birthday
Now To LoveYesterday 8:00am
- TVThe top five moments from Celebrity Treasure Island this week
Now To LoveSep 15, 2019
- CareerHelen Mirren on why being old is 'cool' and marriage is great
The Australian Women's WeeklySep 15, 2019
- CompetitionsWin a $500 Countdown voucher to launch your Disney Word tile collection
Woman's DaySep 15, 2019
- BodyDWTS winner Loryn Reynolds' sister can finally dance again after losing a whopping 70kg
Woman's DaySep 14, 2019
- TVMatt Chisholm is leaving TVNZ to ''farm children, rocks and rabbits'' in Otago
Now To LoveSep 13, 2019