Viewers were left gobsmacked on Sunday night when Married At First Sight's Bronson Norrish called his wife Ines Basic an extremely derogatory name on national television.
Bronson's snap came after a week of being on the receiving end of wife Ines' cruel taunts. At the commitment ceremony the fed-up stripper-turned-entrepreneur could no longer bite his tongue, unleashing the vulgar insult in front of his co-stars.
Expert Mel Schilling cautioned him over his behaviour - something that prompted some angry viewers to start a petition calling for her to be sacked.
But despite the backlash over what he said, 34-year-old Bronson stands by his decision to call Ines out on her behaviour.
"I probably could have used a better word, but I've never had anyone treat me so badly in my life," he told TV WEEK.
"I wanted to find the best word to describe what she was doing to me, and that was the worst one I could think of. I don't regret calling her out, but I do regret using that word."
Bronson, who has endured a fair amount of tragedy in his life, says that despite his family and friends' reservations about Ines, he was prepared to give her the benefit of the doubt.
"My family and friends wanted me to leave on the night of the wedding and come home with them," he says.
"They're better judges of character than I am – they can see the stuff you can't see yourself.
"I was hoping Ines was just nervous and putting on an act. But as it unfolded, I realised it wasn't an act and she was just that sort of person."
- FamilyReal Housewives of Auckland's Anne Batley-Burton on the sad secret to her business success
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 8:15am
- MindJo Seagar on the importance of talking about death
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 8:00am
- FamilyThese inspiring people are our individual 'Grandparent of the year' winners
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 4:00pm
- RoyalsAnother royal wedding: All the details from Lady Gabriella Windsor’s gorgeous nuptials
Now To LoveToday 1:20pm
- TVNadia Lim admits Dancing With The Stars is 'the biggest challenge I've ever taken on'
Woman's DayToday 1:00pm
- PetsMeet NZ's most lovable rescue pet: Tinkerbelle 'the wobble dog'
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 7:45am
- CareerAlexandria Ocasio-Cortez and the band of women shaking up America
The Australian Women's WeeklyYesterday 12:00pm
- RoyalsHappy 1st wedding anniversary Prince Harry and Duchess Meghan! A timeline of their beautiful love story
Now To LoveYesterday 10:00am
- FamilyDancing with the Stars judge Rachel White on why NZ has a special place in her heart
Woman's DayYesterday 8:00am
- FamilyDear Thomasin and Davida: Miranda Harcourt's open letter to her daughters
The Australian Women's WeeklyMay 18, 2019
- MindThree women share their inspiring journeys towards empowerment, self-healing and learning to forgive
Good Health ChoicesMay 18, 2019
- FertilityAfter $70,000 spent on IVF Sharee Welch can finally hold her miracle twins
Woman's DayMay 18, 2019