Viewers were left gobsmacked on Sunday night when Married At First Sight's Bronson Norrish called his wife Ines Basic an extremely derogatory name on national television.
Bronson's snap came after a week of being on the receiving end of wife Ines' cruel taunts. At the commitment ceremony the fed-up stripper-turned-entrepreneur could no longer bite his tongue, unleashing the vulgar insult in front of his co-stars.
Expert Mel Schilling cautioned him over his behaviour - something that prompted some angry viewers to start a petition calling for her to be sacked.
But despite the backlash over what he said, 34-year-old Bronson stands by his decision to call Ines out on her behaviour.
"I probably could have used a better word, but I've never had anyone treat me so badly in my life," he told TV WEEK.
"I wanted to find the best word to describe what she was doing to me, and that was the worst one I could think of. I don't regret calling her out, but I do regret using that word."
Bronson, who has endured a fair amount of tragedy in his life, says that despite his family and friends' reservations about Ines, he was prepared to give her the benefit of the doubt.
"My family and friends wanted me to leave on the night of the wedding and come home with them," he says.
"They're better judges of character than I am – they can see the stuff you can't see yourself.
"I was hoping Ines was just nervous and putting on an act. But as it unfolded, I realised it wasn't an act and she was just that sort of person."
- MindHilary Barry's perfect clap back at a viewer: ‘Enough with the age-shaming’
Now To LoveToday 9:20am
- Diet & NutritionDiet and ‘detox’ teas have been pulled from New Zealand shelves
Now To LoveYesterday 4:00pm
- RelationshipsMatty McLean reveals what partner Ryan calls him… and it’s not what you'd think!
Now To LoveYesterday 1:26pm
- RoyalsPrince Charles met Greta Thunberg and revealed why he doesn't want to disappoint his grandchildren
Now To LoveYesterday 12:55pm
- CareerNigella Lawson's new direction at 60: 'I feel so much more open to anything and everything'
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyYesterday 9:38am
- RoyalsDuchess Catherine speaks out about the isolation she felt when Prince George was a baby
Now To LoveYesterday 9:18am
- WeddingsIt's love-all for tennis star Michael Venus as he marries the mother of his child
Woman's DayYesterday 8:15am
- Pregnancy & BirthBreakfast’s Hayley Holt is expecting her first child
Now To LoveJan 22, 2020
- Real LifeFacing the fiery inferno: Kiwi family's frightening Aussie bushfire ordeal
Woman's DayJan 22, 2020
- FamilyRussell Crowe's heartwarming revelation about his sons strikes a chord with many
Now To LoveJan 21, 2020
- TVLaura Daniel joins Seven Sharp team as special correspondent
Now To LoveJan 21, 2020