Forbes has released its annual list of the world's best paid actresses, with Scarlett Johansson quadrupling her earnings to take the top spot from last year's number one, Emma Stone (who has since dropped out of the top ten completely). What can the list tell us about Hollywood today? We've crunched the numbers...
Though she's also had roles in the problematic Ghost in the Shell movie (in which she was cast in a role originally imagined as Asian) and in Wes Anderson's Isle of Dogs, the majority of Scarlett Johansson's $40.5 million will doubtless have come from her Avengers: Infinity War salary. She'll reprise her role as Black Widow in next year's follow-up.
Long, long before we were being encouraged to fill our lives with side hustles, Jennifer Aniston was quietly supplementing her (also very lucrative) acting career with a handful of well chosen product endorsements. It's a strategy that's paid off: at third on the list, the majority of her $19.5 million comes from deals with Smartwater, Emirates airlines and Aveeno skincare.
Kudos to Angie (or kudos to Angie's agent). The actress returned to the best paid list after reportedly being paid upfront by Disney for Maleficent 2, which she's currently filming in London. Newcomer Gal Gadot has also benefitted from upfront pay: she appears on the list for the first time thanks for her pre-emptive salary for the Wonder Woman sequel.
Though Forbes are yet to release the male equivalent of this list, we can compare it to similar round-ups published in the last year. A ranking of Hollywood's most 'over paid' actors (it wasn't originally intended to be gender specific, but - surprise! - all of them were male anyway...) released in December ranked Mark Wahlberg at the top, with estimated earnings of $68 million - a sum that vastly outstrips the salary of top-ranking actress Scarlett Johansson ($40.5 million). The actor on that list that came closest to Scarlett's pay was Tom Cruise, who ranked seventh with $43 million. Sigh. Clearly the TIme's Up campaign still has a long way to go.
For the second year in a row, the top ten list exclusively features white women (in 2016, Chinese actress Fan Bingbing and Bollywood superstar Deepika Padukone were included). That's reflective of the industry as a whole: despite some positive moves forward, there are still very few women of colour being cast in lead (and therefore, well-paid) roles, despite there being so many talented actresses who could easily step up to the mark.
Fifth place is certainly nothing to sniff at, but Reese Witherspoon's earnings will surely jump even further next year. Not only has she re-negotiated her salary for Big Little Lies, she'll also have another boost from her Apple show, for which she'll receive $1.25 million per episode. Jennifer Aniston will be co-starring (and receiving similar pay), so expect her to move (even further) towards the top, too.
Scarlett Johansson, $40.5 million
Angelina Jolie, $28 million
Jennifer Aniston, $19.5 million
Jennifer Lawrence, $18 million
Reese Witherspoon, $16.5 million
Mila Kunis, $16 million
Julia Roberts, $13 million
Cate Blanchett, $12.5 million
Melissa McCarthy, $12 million
Gal Gadot, $10 million
This article originally appeared on Grazia.
- Celebrity NewsMiley Cyrus has shared brand new photos from her wedding to Liam Hemsworth
Now To LoveToday 2:00pm
- RoyalsPrincess Eugenie's special message to husband Jack Brooksbank
Now To LoveToday 12:00pm
- CareerKiwi women who've made it their mission to make life better for others
The Australian Women's WeeklyToday 11:35am
- BodyThis 9 year old has a new heart thanks to one family's incredible gift of life
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 11:00am
- RoyalsDuchess Catherine looks gorgeous in Gucci as she attends the 100 Women in Finance Gala
Now To LoveYesterday 10:15am
- Married at First SightIs MAFS' Mike Gunner running his own fan page? The signs are compelling!
Now To LoveYesterday 9:15am
- RelationshipsArt Green and Matilda Rice's family plans: they are so clucky!
Woman's DayYesterday 9:00am
- CompetitionsWin a double pass to Ports of Auckland Round the Bays plus a Samsung S9
Now To LoveYesterday 9:00am
- Celebrity NewsCold Feet's Hermione Norris lists all the reasons why she'd love to live in New Zealand
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyYesterday 7:00am
- WeddingsShortland St star Beluah Koale marries his soulmate in a day of 'pure joy'
Woman's DayFeb 13, 2019
- BodyWhat it's like one year on from weight-loss surgery
Now To LoveFeb 12, 2019