Margaret Atwood, the writer of The Handmaid's Tale, which has been turned into a mega-successful Emmy-award-winning Hulu TV series starring Elisabeth Moss, has announced her sequel to the 1985 cult classic novel.
In a message, Atwood wrote: "Dear Readers, everything you've ever asked me about Gilead and its inner workings is the inspiration for this book.
"Well, almost everything! The other inspiration is the world we've been living in."
Because, while we don't know a lot about where Gilead will be 15 years on from where The Handmaid's Tale left off, in the time since the release of the first book, geopolitical attitudes towards women have changed, but not wholesale, and change, as the original book outlines, can be undone.
The Handmaid's Tale's symbolism can now be spotted in the anti-Trump protests, and the nastiest facts of the book - all taken from real-life situations - still resonate today with legions of women - and men - fed up with the traditional ways in which women's bodies and behaviours are policed.
As a dystopic writer, it seems unlikely that Atwood will write a book all about the happy-ever-after of Gilead, so just take a big look around you to see the nasty ways in which women, globally, are treated under the patriarchy to get an idea of what the book's going to look like. Not exactly an easy piece of chick-lit, whatever that is these days.
Though Atwood didn't name Donald Trump, the press release did, saying the story has become "a symbol of the movement against him, standing for female empowerment and resistance in the face of misogyny and the rolling back of women's rights around the world".
One thing we know for sure is that The Testaments will be released on September 10th, 2019 - one for your brand-spanking new diaries! - and will aim to put to rest 33 years of unanswered questions.
- TVPopstars panel tells all: Rock regrets, secret crushes and dad jokes!
Woman's DayApr 09, 2021
- Celebrity NewsIron Mike's magic milestone: 'I'm finally in a good space!'
Woman's DayApr 07, 2021
- TVBachelorettes' show down: Our last-ditch effort to woo Moses
Woman's DayMar 30, 2021
- TVBachelor babes bare all: 'Our lives have changed forever'
Woman's DayMar 29, 2021
- Celebrity NewsSmitten but sleep-deprived! Sam Wallace and fiancée Sarah are on double duty
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyMar 26, 2021
- Celebrity NewsKiwi stunt star Zoë Bell talks brain injuries and break-ups
Woman's DayMar 24, 2021
- TVThe Bachelorette NZ's Lexie and Hamish are moving in together!
Woman's DayMar 11, 2021
- TVHit single Moses: 'I didn't think I deserved love!'
Woman's DayMar 09, 2021
- TVHere are the queens competing in RuPaul's Drag Race Down Under
Now To LoveMar 07, 2021
- RoyalsUPDATED: Harry and Meghan's bombshell interview with Oprah airs in NZ next week
Now To LoveMar 01, 2021