Though Oprah Winfrey has denied in recent months that she'd ever run for president, her longtime boyfriend, Stedman Graham, just revealed she's "absolutely" interested in a political career!
After Oprah accepted the coveted Cecil B. DeMille honor at the 2018 Golden Globes on Sunday, Jan. 7, Stedman told the LA Times, "It's up to the people. She would absolutely do it."
Meryl Streep echoed Stedman's sentiments after the award show when she told The Washington Post, "[Oprah] launched a rocket tonight. I want her to run for president. I don't think she had any intention [of declaring]. But now she doesn't have a choice."
Interestingly, Oprah herself hinted at a possible presidental run with a cryptic tweet published back in September. At the time, the 63-year-old star retweeted an article written by the NY Post about her taking over for current President Donald Trump in 2020 and wrote, "Thanks for your VOTE of confidence."
However, Oprah stated that she'd never run for political office in an interview on the The Hollywood Reporter's "Awards Chatter" podcast just a few months earlier.
"I will never run for public office. That's a pretty definitive thing," she said. When asked if she thought she could beat Donald Trump if he tried for a second term in 2020, she candidly replied, "I don't know. I don't know the answer to that. But I'll never have to know the answer to that because I will never run for public office."
Earlier in 2016, she acknowledged that Trump being nominated without military or political experience really had her second-guessing whether or not she was qualified for the job.
"I actually never considered the question, even the possibility. I thought, 'Oh, gee, I don't have the experience, I don't know enough,'" she said. "And now I'm thinking, 'Oh.'" In the past, Donald has even said that Oprah would be his ideal running mate!
Oprah has publicly supported Democrats in the past and is good friends with former President Barack Obama and First Lady Michelle. Following Donald's inauguration in January 2017, Oprah even went on vacation with the Obamas.
When asked to talk about their trip, she exclaimed, "I can't talk about it, I can't talk about it! What happens on the boat, stays on the boat."
Guess we'll just have to see if Oprah really decides to run for office!
This story was first published on our sister site Closer.
- CareerRachel Hunter on being single, her love affair with India and why she never feels alone
The Australian Women's WeeklyToday 11:30am
- At homeFour ways to give your Christmas decorations a modern refresh without breaking the bank
Now To LoveToday 11:20am
- RoyalsPrince William gave a shout out to Duchess Meghan and Prince Harry at this special event
Now To LoveToday 11:20am
- Pregnancy & BirthHilaria Baldwin begins her journey of healing after miscarrying fifth child
Now To LoveToday 10:34am
- PetsCelebrities and their pets: Shortland Street's Ria Vandervis and princess pooch Maeby
Woman's DayToday 9:55am
- SkincareGemma McCaw's 4 natural beauty treatments you can make at home yourself
Now To LoveToday 7:45am
- CompetitionsWin a Fitbit Versa Lite prizepack for Diabetes Action Month
Now To LoveToday 7:00am
- Body4 reasons why a visit to this hidden oasis will have you feeling summer-ready
Now To LoveYesterday 2:00pm
- RoyalsSarah Ferguson zooms around an airport on a motorised suitcase in a hilarious new video
Now To LoveYesterday 12:15pm
- RoyalsIs Duchess Catherine getting her own television show?
Now To LoveYesterday 10:05am
- FamilySex educationist reveals what kids really want to know about sex - and it might surprise you
Now To LoveYesterday 9:53am
- CareerKeeping Up With The Kaimanawas horse whisperer Kelly Wilson on the stallion that changed her life
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyYesterday 9:36am
- Career'You just have to be yourself': Ingrid Hipkiss on taking over from Samantha Hayes on the 6pm news
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyYesterday 9:25am
- WeddingsZac Franich and Erin Simpson's magical wedding day
Woman's DayYesterday 9:15am
- RoyalsDuchess Meghan steps out in $50,000 ruby earrings by Kiwi designer Jessica McCormack
Now To LoveNov 11, 2019
- FamilyAt home with Matilda and Art Green: 'Baby Milo is our dream come true'
Woman's DayNov 11, 2019