She’s starred in some of the biggest films – from Cold Mountain to Bridget Jones’s Diary - but Renee Zellweger called it quits on Hollywood six years ago.
Scroll down for video
“I got sick of the sound of my own voice: it was time to go way and grow up a bit,” she told British Vogue.
She was last on screen in 2010’s My Own Love Song.
The 47-year-old found she needed to take a break from the glitz and glam of Tinseltown in order to be good at her job.
“I found anonymity, so I could have exchanges with people on a human level and be seen and heard, not be defined by this image that precedes me when I walk into a room,” she told the publication.
“You cannot be a good storyteller if you don’t have life experiences, and you can’t relate to people.”
Renee, who starred in 20 movies between 2000 and 2010, is returning soon to our screens for Bridget Jones’s Baby.
When asked by Vogue about reviving the British heroine, Renee commented about the scrutiny she faced when changing her body shape for the part.
“I put on a few pounds. I also put on some breasts and a baby bump. Bridget is a perfectly normal weight and I’ve never understood why it matters so much,” she said. “No male actor would get such scrutiny if he did the same thing for a role.”
WATCH: Trailer for Bridget Jones’s Baby
- RelationshipsWhy women in their forties love Keanu Reeves and Alexandra Grant
Now To LoveToday 12:26pm
- WeddingsThe songs Kiwi celebrities walked down the aisle to
Now To LoveToday 8:35am
- FamilyThe best home and baby products for new and expectant parents
Now To LoveToday 8:20am
- MindListening to Adele in the car can help reduce stress a new study has found
Now To LoveYesterday 2:45pm
- RoyalsPrince Charles celebrates his birthday with an unexpected pop star and launches a clothing collection
Now To LoveYesterday 11:00am
- Career'I always wanted to work with animals': A day in the life of a border control customs officer
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyYesterday 9:22am
- BodyI survived breast cancer: Greg Sargeaunt is one of 25 Kiwi men diagnosed with breast cancer every year
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyYesterday 9:10am
- TVJohn Campbell gets objectified by Matty McLean on Breakfast and loves it
Now To LoveYesterday 8:56am
- RoyalsThe Palace announces the Sussexes will not join the royal family for Christmas at Sandringham
Now To LoveYesterday 8:30am
- CareerRachel Hunter on being single, her love affair with India and why she never feels alone
The Australian Women's WeeklyNov 13, 2019
- Pregnancy & BirthHilaria Baldwin begins her journey of healing after miscarrying fifth child
Now To LoveNov 13, 2019
- PetsCelebrities and their pets: Shortland Street's Ria Vandervis and princess pooch Maeby
Woman's DayNov 13, 2019
- SkincareGemma McCaw's 4 natural beauty treatments you can make at home yourself
Now To LoveNov 13, 2019