She’s starred in some of the biggest films – from Cold Mountain to Bridget Jones’s Diary - but Renee Zellweger called it quits on Hollywood six years ago.
Scroll down for video
“I got sick of the sound of my own voice: it was time to go way and grow up a bit,” she told British Vogue.
She was last on screen in 2010’s My Own Love Song.
The 47-year-old found she needed to take a break from the glitz and glam of Tinseltown in order to be good at her job.
“I found anonymity, so I could have exchanges with people on a human level and be seen and heard, not be defined by this image that precedes me when I walk into a room,” she told the publication.
“You cannot be a good storyteller if you don’t have life experiences, and you can’t relate to people.”
Renee, who starred in 20 movies between 2000 and 2010, is returning soon to our screens for Bridget Jones’s Baby.
When asked by Vogue about reviving the British heroine, Renee commented about the scrutiny she faced when changing her body shape for the part.
“I put on a few pounds. I also put on some breasts and a baby bump. Bridget is a perfectly normal weight and I’ve never understood why it matters so much,” she said. “No male actor would get such scrutiny if he did the same thing for a role.”
WATCH: Trailer for Bridget Jones’s Baby
- MindDiane Keaton opens up about her heartache over her brother's mental health struggles in new book
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 11:30am
- RoyalsThe Royal Family's birthday message to Prince Andrew has been met with controversy
Now To LoveYesterday 4:25pm
- Diet & NutritionThe Sirtfood Diet: The weight loss plan that gives chocolate and red wine the big thumbs up
Now To LoveYesterday 11:25am
- Real LifeWhite Island survivor Kelsey Waghorn shares recovery images and discovers what a small world we live in
Now To LoveYesterday 11:23am
- RoyalsDuchess Meghan and Prince Harry have confirmed more details about their future
Now To LoveYesterday 10:15am
- Real LifeThe 2011 Christchurch earthquake struck the day after my birthday and changed my life forever
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyYesterday 9:27am
- CompetitionsWin a brilliant Banana Boat prize pack worth $100!
Good Health ChoicesYesterday 9:00am
- RoyalsPrincess Diana’s niece Lady Kitty Spencer is converting to Judaism for her fiancé
Now To LoveFeb 18, 2020