Update 26.02.16: While David Bowie's son Duncan didn't seem to be a fan of Lady Gaga's earlier tribute to his father, he had warm words for Lorde on Twitter.
Lorde took to the stage at the music awards to perform a cover of the late legend’s song, accompanied by the backing band from his last tour in 2003.
Dressed in a simple white shirt, black pants and matching black vest, surrounded by eerie red light, Lorde had the audience captivated with her powerful tribute to the music icon.
The Kiwi star has spoken of her admiration for David before, and when he passed away earlier this year, she wrote a touching account of the time she met him at a Vogue benefit in 2013.
“That night something changed in me - I felt a calmness grow, a sureness. I think in those brief moments, he heralded me into my next new life, an old rock and roll alien angel in a perfect grey suit,” she wrote.
“I realized everything I’d ever done, or would do from then on, would be done like maybe he was watching. I realized I was proud of my spiky strangeness because he had been proud of his.”
During the ceremony, actor Gary Oldman also paid tribute to David as he accepted the Brit Icon award on his behalf.
“David’s contribution, his influence on popular music, on culture itself, has no equal,” Gary said.
“He was the very definition – the living embodiment – of that singular word, ‘icon’.”
- FamilyThe Kiwi mum who couldn't find a decent parenting book so wrote one herself
Now To LoveToday 8:30pm
- BodyThe simple way to treat ageing skin concerns at home
Now To LoveToday 4:40pm
- TVCarolyn Taylor's epiphany since her return to TV on Dancing With The Stars
Woman's DayToday 2:00pm
- BodyThese common myths about sleep could be compromising your health
Now To LoveToday 1:00pm
- BodyEverything you need to know about measles and how to beat the disease
Woman's DayToday 7:00am
- FitnessHow our body clocks influence how effectively we exercise
Now To LoveToday 6:00am
- FamilyEight foodie road trip adventures that your family will love
Now To LoveYesterday 5:00pm
- Diet & NutritionIs margarine actually bad for you? Four myths busted
Now To LoveYesterday 4:00pm
- At homeHow the right retirement village enabled mum to be mum again
Now To LoveYesterday 2:25pm
- RoyalsPrince Harry's stunning wildlife photography is revealed in celebration of Earth Day
Now To LoveYesterday 11:31am
- RoyalsNew house, new baby, new continent? Prince Harry and Duchess Meghan look set to be moving to Africa
Now To LoveYesterday 9:25am
- Married at First SightMarried at First Sight NZ's Dan and Yuki: 'We're more in love than ever'
Woman's DayYesterday 9:20am
- RoyalsHow the Royal Family spent the day on the Queen’s 93rd birthday
Now To LoveYesterday 9:15am
- CareerThe Kiwi couple who are making comfy prosthetic breasts
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyYesterday 9:00am
- At homeWhy a magazine subscription is the perfect gift for you or someone you love
Now To LoveYesterday 9:00am