Kiwi actress Teuila Blakely has spoken out about her sex tape scandal with former Warriors player Konrad Hurrell.
But, rather than simper her way through an apology almost three years after the incident, the New Zealand-born Samoan star wants to make one thing perfectly clear: being sexual isn’t something she’s ashamed of.
In a revealing interview with Canvas, Blakely, 42, who is set to make an appearance in the upcoming season of Filthy Rich, says she's well and truly put the fall-out of the 2014 social media scandal behind her.
When the tape was leaked, Blakely recounted that at the time it had been incredibly difficult and challenging for her to have to deal with an outpouring of abusive and misogynistic comments from online trolls.
“I have been subjected to an unbelievable amount of online abuse and media speculation,” she said in an earlier interview with Mai FM.
While the ex-Shortland Street actor may have been reeling in the wake of the tape’s release three years ago - posting on social media at the time she was “heartbroken” and “humiliated” - she now takes a much broader view.
“As a woman, at some point, you have to fall in love with who the f--- you are and how the f--- you are. In every single way," she told Canvas.
Although Blakely admits she had knowledge the then 22-year-old rugby player had shared the video with his friends, she says she wasn’t happy the video had gone online for others to cast aspersions.
“Part of being an empowered sexual woman, which we all have the right to be, is I can send a topless video or selfie to my man. I’m allowed to. And if someone puts that online, I’m allowed to not be ashamed of that, because I did that.
"I'm allowed to make a f------ video of me in my car," she continued. "I was actually okay with the whole thing . . . with him making a video of it, I was even okay with him sending it to his mates. I was not okay with it going online to everyone for them to have their judgment about what I feel okay with in my life."
- TVWhat drove these celebs to sign up for Celebrity Treasure Island
Woman's DayToday 12:35pm
- Pregnancy & BirthWhy model Ashley Graham's baby bump photo has got everyone talking
Now To LoveToday 12:07pm
- RoyalsDuchess Catherine honours this lucky nine-year-old to celebrate World Photography Day
Now To LoveToday 11:15am
- CareerI loved him like a son: Phil Kingsley Jones remembers Jonah Lomu in his final years
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 9:29am
- TVMatty McLean says he's lived some of his proudest moments on Celebrity Treasure Island
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 9:09am
- TVThe redemption of former All Black Zac Guildford on Celebrity Treasure Island
Now To LoveYesterday 8:45pm
- TVKarl Burnett quits Celebrity Treasure Island as mental health suffers
Now To LoveYesterday 8:30pm
- Married at First SightMAFS' Cyrell Paule is expecting a baby with Love Island's Eden Dally
Now To LoveYesterday 1:21pm
- Pregnancy & BirthAll the gorgeous details from Samantha Hayes’ 'beautiful' baby shower
Now To LoveYesterday 12:17pm
- TVFour curious things we've learned about the stars on Celebrity Treasure Island
Now To LoveYesterday 10:42am
- TVThe first trailer for Married at First Sight NZ has been released and it's utter chaos
Now To LoveYesterday 9:48am
- RoyalsDuchess Meghan and Prince Harry jet off on another family holiday to the south of France
Now To LoveYesterday 9:15am
- FamilyWhy Karl Burnett is hoping to be voted off Celebrity Treasure Island
Woman's DayYesterday 8:30am
- BodyLily McManus' secret battle: Why she hid her hearing loss
Woman's DayAug 18, 2019