Kiwi director Taika Waititi’s hit movie Hunt for the Wilderpeople won big at last night’s Rialto Channel NZ Film Awards ceremony, walking away with seven top honours, including Best Film.
As well as winning the top award, the movie which is an adaptation of the Barry Crump novel Wild Pork and Watercress, also won Best Director and Best Screenplay.
The film’s stars were also given gongs with 14-year-old Julian Dennison taking home Best Actor for his role as Ricky Baker.
Julian's co-stars Sam Neill and Rima Te Wiata took out the other top acting honours for Supporting Actor and Supporting Actress respectively
The action-adventure film, set in the hinterlands of the Central Plateau, also got a nod for its special effects.
The star-studded Rialto Channel NZ Film Awards (also known as the ‘Moas’) was held at Auckland’s ASB Showgrounds.
As well as local celebrities in attendance, Academy Award winning director Danny Boyle (Slumdog Millionaire, T2: Trainspotting) made a special appearance to present the award for Best Cinematography for Slow West, starring Michael Fassbender.
Stuff reports Sam Neill also presented an award, handing out the Services To Cinema Award to long-time friend and collaborator Gaylene Preston for her dedication to New Zealand film.
Other big winners on the night included Miriama McDowell for Best Actress for her role in The Great Maiden’s Blush which also won the Best Self-Funded Film, and the provincial rugby documentary The Ground We Won which won Best Documentary.
Ex-Shortland Street star Angela Bloomfield was also awarded on the night, picking up Best Short Film Actresss for her role in Linda’s List.
- CompetitionsWin one of five prize packs from Arnott’s worth $100
Good Health ChoicesToday 8:00am
- CareerTech-savvy granny: Meet Val, a social media queen at 90
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 8:00am
- RoyalsInside a play date with Prince George and Princess Charlotte at Kensington Palace
Now To LoveYesterday 3:40pm
- PetsThe online pet product delivery service that just made your life easier
Now To LoveYesterday 2:00pm
- RoyalsIs this a clue that Duchess Meghan is relaunching her lifestyle blog The Tig?
Now To LoveYesterday 11:15am
- CareerFrom Shortland Street to water births: Katherine McRae's new focus
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyYesterday 9:09am
- RoyalsNew book details the lives of the photographers who captured the royals behind closed doors
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyYesterday 9:00am
- FamilyNadene Lomu's tearful confession: Pushed to breaking point after Jonah's death
Woman's DayYesterday 7:45am
- EntertainmentWoman's Day Bonds X-Temp hottest media hunk has been crowned
Woman's DaySep 16, 2019