Star Trek actor Anton Yelchin has died aged 27, his representatives have confirmed.
Ryan Parker, a writer for The Hollywood Reporter, also confirmed the news in a series of tweets, writing that Anton was crushed to death when his own car ran over him at 1am.
“Anton Yelchin, pinned between his car, a mailbox pillar and a security fence, sustained fatal traumatic injuries, police tell me. He was 27,” read one tweet.
He added that the actor had “exited his car for a brief moment and it rolled down his ‘steep driveway’ onto him.”
Anton began his career on TV series ER, Curb Your Enthusiasm and Law & Order.
He was also praised for his role in 2006’s Alpha Dog, but was most recognised for his recent turn in the Star Trek remakes – in which he played Pavel Chekov.
The latest movie in the series – Star Trek Beyond – is set for release this winter.
Famous friends and co-stars have paid tribute to the actor, with fellow Star Trek actor, Kiwi Karl Urban taking to Twitter to express his grief.
“I can’t believe it, I’m fckn hurting bad!”
Likewise Kat Dennings, who starred opposite Anton in teen flick Charlie Bartlett, wrote; “Anton Yelchin was one of my best friends. Can’t say anything that conveys what this feels like.”
One Tree Hill heartthrob Chad Michael Murray wrote: “Just heard about Anton Yelchin what a great talent and good young man. Gone far too soon…God bless. Terrible loss. You’ll be missed.”
And his Star Trek director J.J. Abrams penned a handwritten note that he uploaded to Twitter, paying tribute to the tragic star.
“Anton, you were brilliant. You were kind. You were funny as hell, and supremely talented. And you weren’t here nearly long enough. Missing you…JJ.”
Anton Yelchin talks about having big shoes to fill on Star Trek
- BodyRadio host Sarah Gandy has been diagnosed with breast cancer
Now To LoveToday 12:13pm
- RoyalsDuchess Meghan has jetted off to New York for her baby shower
Now To LoveToday 11:36am
- FertilityTips for couples who are trying to conceive and not pregnant yet
Now To LoveToday 11:19am
- Pregnancy & BirthGemma McCaw's praise for the midwife who delivered baby Charlotte
Woman's DayToday 7:00am
- MoneyOnline shopping fails - Kiwi consumers' hilarious tales
Now To LoveYesterday 4:00pm
- Celebrity NewsHarper Beckham and Anna Wintour's priceless twinning moment
Now To LoveYesterday 2:28pm
- RoyalsPrince William and Prince Harry are reportedly splitting their royal household after 10 years together
Now To LoveYesterday 12:15pm
- RoyalsHappy Birthday Prince Andrew: 7 things you may not know about the Duke of York
Now To LoveYesterday 9:30am
- Destinations CitiesThe all-women Bali retreat that saved my soul after my fiancé left me
The Australian Women's WeeklyFeb 17, 2019
- BodyWhy Olivia Newton-John isn't letting battling cancer for the third time get her down
Good Health ChoicesFeb 17, 2019
- Married at First SightMAFS baby on board? Reports suggest this bride is already pregnant
Now To LoveFeb 17, 2019