Sonny Bill is the first to admit he used to be a bad boy. But since converting to Islam, the father of one says he's changed his ways for the better, in a new interview.
"I used to be a bit of a scallywag," the popular All Black, who now has an 18-month-old daughter with his wife, Alana, admitted in the Daily Mail
"I did a lot of bad things and went off course but Allah was with me."
The 30-year-old player, who is the only Muslim in his rugby squad, also explains how he fits his commitments to Islam around his intensive rugby schedule, adding he will sometimes run his morning and evening prayers together while travelling.
Sonny adds that the squad's chef will also provide halal food where possible, something which sometimes leaves him "embarrassed."
"I just want to fit in and be one of the boys, but at the same time faith is where everything comes from," he says.
And Sonny credits his conversion to Islam with helping him to become less of a 'stress head,' and that it helped him find more meaning in life than he had while drinking and partying.
"I still feel like the same person but converting has given me contentment and happiness that I don't know how to explain."
Sonny now has his sights set on competing in Rio for rugby sevens, following in the Olympic footsteps of his hero and fellow Muslim Muhammad Ali. But SBW is under strict instructions from his wife about what will happen if wins a medal - and he won't be giving it away, like he did after the All Blacks Rugby World Cup win.
'My wife has already said that if, God willing, I make it to the Olympics and win a medal, then it's going straight on my daughter — I can't give it away!' he says.
Watch: Sonny Bill Williams gifts his RWC medal you boy
- RoyalsPrince Philip, the Duke of Edinburgh, has died aged 99
Now To LoveApr 09, 2021
- TVPopstars panel tells all: Rock regrets, secret crushes and dad jokes!
Woman's DayApr 09, 2021
- Celebrity NewsIron Mike's magic milestone: 'I'm finally in a good space!'
Woman's DayApr 07, 2021
- TVBachelorettes' show down: Our last-ditch effort to woo Moses
Woman's DayMar 30, 2021
- TVBachelor babes bare all: 'Our lives have changed forever'
Woman's DayMar 29, 2021
- Celebrity NewsSmitten but sleep-deprived! Sam Wallace and fiancée Sarah are on double duty
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyMar 26, 2021
- Celebrity NewsKiwi stunt star Zoë Bell talks brain injuries and break-ups
Woman's DayMar 24, 2021
- TVThe Bachelorette NZ's Lexie and Hamish are moving in together!
Woman's DayMar 11, 2021
- TVHit single Moses: 'I didn't think I deserved love!'
Woman's DayMar 09, 2021
- TVHere are the queens competing in RuPaul's Drag Race Down Under
Now To LoveMar 07, 2021