Shortland Street stars Kerry-Lee Dewing and Ria Vandervis know first-hand how devastating bullying can be. While they may be two of Ferndale's favourite medics today, back in their school days both stars were the victims of cruel schoolyard bullies.
"Luckily, I have turned out to be a relatively confident person, but you can't help wondering if all those years of sadness have impacted you in a negative way," Ria tells Woman's Day.
Unfortunately, Ria and Kerry-Lee aren't alone in their experience, with 45,000 Kiwi kids still affected by bullying of some kind in schools across the nation.
Now, the Shorty stars hope to have a positive impact in their new roles as ambassadors for the Foundation for Youth Development, an organisation that aims to educate children about the harmful effects of bullying.
"I just want them to know it's not something to be ashamed of," Ria says.
For the full story, check out this week's issue of Woman's Day.
FYD is encouraging all New Zealanders to get behind the anti-bullying campaign to support Kiwi kids facing bullying, by texting ‘NO’ to 2448 and making a $3 donation. Alternatively, supporters can donate $20 a month at www.fyd.org.nz/bullying.
- Celebrity NewsMiley Cyrus has shared brand new photos from her wedding to Liam Hemsworth
Now To LoveYesterday 2:00pm
- RoyalsPrincess Eugenie's special message to husband Jack Brooksbank
Now To LoveYesterday 12:00pm
- CareerKiwi women who've made it their mission to make life better for others
The Australian Women's WeeklyYesterday 11:35am
- BodyThis 9 year old has a new heart thanks to one family's incredible gift of life
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyYesterday 11:00am
- RoyalsPrince Harry spent Valentine's Day next to a shrine dedicated to himself and Duchess Meghan
Now To LoveYesterday 10:30am
- Married at First SightMAFS' Matthew Bennett insists losing his virginity to Lauren hasn't changed him
Now To LoveYesterday 8:30am
- RoyalsDuchess Catherine looks gorgeous in Gucci as she attends the 100 Women in Finance Gala
Now To LoveFeb 14, 2019
- RelationshipsArt Green and Matilda Rice's family plans: they are so clucky!
Woman's DayFeb 14, 2019
- CompetitionsWin a double pass to Ports of Auckland Round the Bays plus a Samsung S9
Now To LoveFeb 14, 2019
- Celebrity NewsCold Feet's Hermione Norris lists all the reasons why she'd love to live in New Zealand
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyFeb 14, 2019
- WeddingsShortland St star Beluah Koale marries his soulmate in a day of 'pure joy'
Woman's DayFeb 13, 2019