In a blog post titled “Real Talk on: Miscarriages”, the TV presenter and radio host revealed how her dreams of starting a family with husband Bryce were shattered not once, but twice after sadly suffering two miscarriages in a row.
She first became pregnant last year, and she writes that she and Bryce immediately began planning for the future with their long-awaited little one.
“I was happy beyond belief, every moment revolved around doing the right thing by my baby … I have never felt such intense love for something I’d never met,” Sharyn revealed.
However, their joy turned to shock during their six-week scan when the nurse was unable to pick up any signs of the baby.
“I feel like a failure, I head into full panic mode,” Sharyn wrote of her reaction to the heartbreaking news.
After a few months, Sharyn said she and Bryce began trying for a baby again – and they were elated when she fell pregnant for the second time. However, more heartbreak was in store for the embattled couple, as Sharyn’s doctor said she would lose the baby again.
“She then went on to tell me that ‘after a third one, we can refer you to a fertility doctor,’ which enraged me,” Sharyn wrote.
“We’ve started trying again now with no luck, every month is a solid reminder of the 2 babies we lost,” she continued.
“I wish I could just let it go but I can’t, it feels like every period is a funeral of what should’ve been.”
The former Dancing With The Stars presenter says the emotional ordeal is still taking its toll, but in spite of the pain, she wanted to speak up to support others going through the same journey.
“Miscarriages have this weird stigma of feeling like you failed and you feel embarrassed, like you’re the only one that it’s happened too [sic],” she wrote.
“I don’t want you to feel sorry for me, I don’t want pity, I want awareness. I want other couples to know that you don’t have to hide the fact you had a miscarriage, that was your baby.
“You had dreams for that baby. You loved that baby and you do not have to hide that, which is why Bryce and I are pretty open about it now and we’re not embarrassed to talk about it, we don’t want other couples to feel how we felt and still feel sometimes.”
You can read Sharyn’s full blog post here.
- Pregnancy & BirthSamantha Hayes excitedly announces the gender of her baby
Now To LoveToday 12:00pm
- Diet & NutritionThe truth about coconut oil: Is it actually as good for us as we've been told?
Good Health ChoicesToday 10:00am
- CareerMean Mums' Morgana O'Reilly gets candid about her school days
The Australian Women's WeeklyToday 9:23am
- FamilyHow to get your children off the screens and out into the sunshine
Good Health ChoicesYesterday 12:00pm
- Pregnancy & BirthFear and panic followed by joy: The Edge's Chang Hung welcomes his much longed-for daughter
Woman's DayYesterday 8:00am
- CareerHow Louise Stainthorpe went from stay at home mum to 'badass businesswoman'
Woman's DayJul 19, 2019
- FitnessCommon mistakes to avoid when you're working out for weight loss
Good Health ChoicesJul 19, 2019
- RoyalsThe very unusual way Duchess Camilla just celebrated her 72nd birthday
Now To LoveJul 18, 2019
- TVThe Block NZ's Lisa and Ribz fire back at the 'harsh and nasty' judges
Woman's DayJul 18, 2019
- CareerQueen of tiny: Why I love recreating everything I see in miniature
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyJul 18, 2019
- CompetitionsWin a black and a rose gold Samsung Galaxy Watch Active worth $349 each!
Good Health ChoicesJul 18, 2019
- WeddingsBride quits job to plan her dream wedding and demands her fiancé get a second job
Now To LoveJul 17, 2019
- BodyKaty Perry and Orlando Bloom's new age secret to staying young
Now To LoveJul 17, 2019