Oprah was widely lauded for her powerful Golden Globes speech which spoke of a "new day on the horizon" for all women while she denounced sexual predators.
Shortly after, however, whispers of discontent trickled in as her close friendship with Harvey Weinstein came to light. The pair's professional relationship stretches back decades and it was widely understood they were good friends for decades.
Seal, 54, was a little louder than a discreet whisper, calling out the media mogul in an Instagram post and deeming her an example of "sanctimonious Hollywood".
He captioned the pic: "Oh I forgot, that's right ... you'd heard the rumours but you had no idea he was actually serially assaulting young starry-eyed actresses who in turn had no idea what they were getting into. My bad. #SanctimoniousHollywood."
At only 11 days in to 2018, it seems like we already have the most unlikely celeb feud of the year.
The singer was quickly confronted by angry followers on social media asking why his ex-wife didn't receive the same scrutiny.
Heidi Klum had a long professional relationship with Weinstein thanks to his company being an executive producer of her show, Project Runway.
"Sooooo, are you going to post Heidi's picture too being that she was friends with him as well ... Or is your outrage selective?" wrote one.
Others rejected the assertions a woman could be in any way responsible for the crimes of men.
Some followers congratulated The Voice judge for his controversial take and urged him not to back down.
- Celebrity NewsJay-Jay Feeney and Paul Flynn: our perfect friendship
Woman's DayJan 08, 2021
- CompetitionsWin a double pass to our exclusive screening of Penguin Bloom
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyDec 27, 2020
- Celebrity NewsRobert Rakete's Christmas plans: 'It'll be a breeze!'
Woman's DayDec 25, 2020
- Celebrity NewsJase, Toni & Sam get festive with their four-legged friends
Woman's DayDec 21, 2020
- FamilyThe Terrace at Sylvia Park - what's on offer at this new dining destination
Now To LoveDec 16, 2020
- Celebrity NewsShortland Street's Ben Barrington and Ngahuia Piripi's Christmas celebrations
Woman's DayDec 16, 2020
- Celebrity NewsWendy Petrie and Matty McLean's festive cheer: 'Our hearts are so full'
Woman's DayDec 15, 2020
- Celebrity NewsKanoa Lloyd and Mike McRoberts' best Christmas ever
Woman's DayDec 14, 2020
- Celebrity NewsSoon I’ll be a dad to three under three! Sam Wallace shares his hopes and fears
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyDec 11, 2020
- Celebrity NewsCarolyn Keep's little miracle: 'The baby I never thought I'd have'
Woman's DayDec 10, 2020
- RoyalsMeghan Markle reveals she miscarried her second child in a powerful personal essay
Now To LoveNov 26, 2020
- CompetitionsWin a Farro Hamper and a double pass to Happiest Season
Now To LoveNov 25, 2020
- CompetitionsWin the Ultimate Teeth Whitening Prize Pack thanks to Colgate Optic White
Woman's DayNov 23, 2020