When it comes to Christmas, Robert Rakete doesn't have a great track record. "Last year, a friend came over with a very expensive piece of meat and I was in charge of the barbecue," the vegetarian radio presenter cringes. "I turned my back for a second and people were yelling because it caught fire. I managed to kill the steak twice! So this year, I'll stick to making salads."
And then there was the time the dad-of-five was charged with keeping the tree alive when the rest of his family went on holiday just before the big day. "It was my one job and the kids ended up opening their presents under this brown, half-naked tree. I killed that too. I'm no good with Christmas!"
However, the Breeze breakfast co-host, 54, does have the family's gifts all sorted. He grins, "I'm the king of presents. Man, I love shopping. I could spend all day at the mall."
On December 11, Rob will host Coca-Cola Christmas on The Breeze live from 7am – the on-air event is replacing Auckland's annual Christmas in the Park festivities – and on the big day itself, he'll be at home as his children and their partners pop in and out.
He tells us, "When people ask me what I want for Christmas, I always say, 'I just want my kids to be happy, that's all.' My mum had this saying, 'You're only as happy as your unhappiest child,' and it's so true. If my kids are happy, it's a very merry Christmas for me. I'm just so grateful we've all come out the other side of 2020 in one piece."
As for his New Year's resolution? Rob smiles, "I just want to keep waking up in the mornings, going to work, having a great time – and spending more time with my wife 'cos she's hot!"
- Married at First SightMAFS Patrick and Belinda: 'Pat will make a great Dad!'
Woman's DayYesterday 8:00am
- Married at First SightMAFS Bryce & Melissa: 'We're getting our own show!'
Woman's DayMay 04, 2021
- RoyalsPrince Philip, the Duke of Edinburgh, has died aged 99
Now To LoveApr 09, 2021
- TVPopstars panel tells all: Rock regrets, secret crushes and dad jokes!
Woman's DayApr 09, 2021
- Celebrity NewsIron Mike's magic milestone: 'I'm finally in a good space!'
Woman's DayApr 07, 2021
- TVBachelorettes' show down: Our last-ditch effort to woo Moses
Woman's DayMar 30, 2021
- TVBachelor babes bare all: 'Our lives have changed forever'
Woman's DayMar 29, 2021
- Celebrity NewsSmitten but sleep-deprived! Sam Wallace and fiancée Sarah are on double duty
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyMar 26, 2021
- Celebrity NewsKiwi stunt star Zoë Bell talks brain injuries and break-ups
Woman's DayMar 24, 2021