Beatles drummer Ringo Starr was knighted by Prince William for his services to music at London's Buckingham Palace on Tuesday, March 20.
"It means a lot actually," the 77-year-old music icon told reporters after the special ceremony. "It means recognition for the things we've done musically and in life. So, I was really pleased to accept this award."
When then asked by the BBC what he'll be doing with his new knighthood medal, Ringo — who will now be known as Sir Ringo Starr — jokingly replied, "With this, I'll be wearing it to breakfast."
The event interestingly came 21 years after Ringo's Beatles bandmate Paul McCartney was similarly knighted by Queen Elizabeth in Buckingham Palace back in 1977.
Ringo is now joining a long list of celebrities who have been knighted by the Queen and other members of the monarchy. Other stars who've received the honor include Sean Connery, Bill Gates, Michael Caine, Patrick Stewart, Elton John, Ronald Reagan, Bono, George H.W. Bush, Ben Kingsley, and Ian McKellen.
When a man becomes knighted, he takes on the title of "Sir," while a woman adopts the "Dame" title. Many famous women have become Dames over the years thanks to Queen Elizabeth including Helen Mirren, Judi Dench, Joan Collins, Angelina Jolie, Elizabeth Taylor, Julie Andrews, Maggie Smith, and Angela Lansbury.
This story was originally published on our sister site, Closer Weekly.
- BodyToni Street reflects on the extreme toll her auto-immune disease took on her body
Now To LoveToday 4:02pm
- WeddingsTwo years in the making: Tiki Taane's epic marriage proposal
Woman's DayToday 1:55pm
- TVAussie Bachelor Matt Agnew's embarrassing kissing confession
Now To LoveToday 10:05am
- RoyalsA royal biographer dishes on what the Queen carries in her handbag
Now To LoveToday 9:30am
- MoneyEverything you need to know about saving for your retirement
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 8:15am
- CareerPaul Henry reveals he's 'in talks' to return to TV
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 8:00am
- CompetitionsWin an indulgent prize pack from Young Living Oils
Now To LoveToday 7:00am
- Diet & NutritionHere are 6 energy-boosting food alternatives to coffee
Now To LoveYesterday 2:45pm
- Food & DrinksThese Kiwi oats are the perfect go-to breakfast for busy mornings
Now To LoveYesterday 1:00pm
- FamilyA former teen mum shares how she went from pregnant prefect to top of NZ in her career
Now To LoveYesterday 12:17pm
- RelationshipsGreg Boyed's widow posts a touching tribute on the first anniversary of his death
Now To LoveYesterday 11:32am
- TVSam Wallace and Eric Murray bare all on Celebrity Treasure Island
Now To LoveYesterday 10:45am
- RoyalsRevealed: Where Duchess Meghan found inspiration for her wedding day makeup look
Now To LoveYesterday 10:30am
- Travel News'Travel agents are retro' and 3 other misconceptions about travel consultants debunked
Now To LoveYesterday 10:11am
- PetsNZ police have posted a touching tribute to Constable Elliott: the world's first police guinea pig
Now To LoveYesterday 9:21am
- CareerBlack Ferns star Kendra Cocksedge: Living her dream and on a mission to help others live theirs
Woman's DayYesterday 8:10am
- WeddingsDying bride's perfect day: My final dream has come true
Woman's DayAug 20, 2019
- RoyalsPrince Harry's trick to beating a heatwave? ‘Budgie smugglers’, he says
Now To LoveAug 20, 2019