On Wednesday, the tragic news of Kiwi icon Jonah Lomu’s death made headlines around the world as friends, family and fans mourned the untimely loss of a sporting hero.
The All Black star died of a heart attack at home in Epsom, leaving behind his wife Nadene and two sons, six-year-old Brayley and five-year-old Dhyreille.
“As you can imagine, this is a devastating loss for our family,” Nadene said in her statement confirming the sad news.
That sentiment was echoed in the many tributes that began pouring in for Jonah as admirers from all over the world paid their respects to the man who revolutionised the sport of rugby, including All Black captain Richie McCaw and soccer star David Beckham.
Jonah’s close friend Polly Gillespie has penned an emotional tribute of her own in this week’s Woman’s Day, looking back on 15 years of friendship with the “wonderful, irreplaceable” rugby legend.
“Of all the things he was, and the list is illustrious and long, he was the most generous soul I’ve ever known,” she reveals.
“I never felt short with Jonah – he’d move himself in a way that brought him down while lifting you up. That was not simply in a physical sense,” she reveals.
Join us as we take a look back at the rugby great’s life in this week’s Woman’s Day, from his early days growing up in Tonga and New Zealand to the height of his fame on and off the field.
- At homeHow clean, green living can start with small day-to-day changes in the kitchen
Now To LoveToday 10:45am
- TVLaura Daniel and her DWTS partner Shae Mountain get matching tattoos
Now To LoveToday 10:41am
- RoyalsPrince William was just asked how he'd feel if one of his children came out as gay
Now To LoveToday 10:00am
- CareerMeet the trailblazing female shepherd who won a prestigious award previously only won by men
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 9:18am
- RoyalsYet another example of the harsh double standard Duchess Meghan faces
Now To LoveToday 8:15am
- RoyalsSarah, Duchess of York, is recognised with an award for her charity work
Now To LoveYesterday 12:10pm
- RoyalsHow much do the royal family spend on travel a year?
Now To LoveYesterday 11:00am
- RoyalsThe Queen just passed on this very special patronage to Duchess Catherine
Now To LoveYesterday 8:30am
- TVThe Block NZ Firehouse contestants Sophia and Mikaere: 'We'll come out stronger than ever'
Woman's DayYesterday 8:05am
- BodyA cup of coffee a day could be the secret to burning fat
Now To LoveJun 25, 2019
- CareerThe Chicks Suzanne Lynch on nearing 70 and life being more exciting than ever
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyJun 25, 2019