On Wednesday, the tragic news of Kiwi icon Jonah Lomu’s death made headlines around the world as friends, family and fans mourned the untimely loss of a sporting hero.
The All Black star died of a heart attack at home in Epsom, leaving behind his wife Nadene and two sons, six-year-old Brayley and five-year-old Dhyreille.
“As you can imagine, this is a devastating loss for our family,” Nadene said in her statement confirming the sad news.
That sentiment was echoed in the many tributes that began pouring in for Jonah as admirers from all over the world paid their respects to the man who revolutionised the sport of rugby, including All Black captain Richie McCaw and soccer star David Beckham.
Jonah’s close friend Polly Gillespie has penned an emotional tribute of her own in this week’s Woman’s Day, looking back on 15 years of friendship with the “wonderful, irreplaceable” rugby legend.
“Of all the things he was, and the list is illustrious and long, he was the most generous soul I’ve ever known,” she reveals.
“I never felt short with Jonah – he’d move himself in a way that brought him down while lifting you up. That was not simply in a physical sense,” she reveals.
Join us as we take a look back at the rugby great’s life in this week’s Woman’s Day, from his early days growing up in Tonga and New Zealand to the height of his fame on and off the field.
- FitnessOrangetheory: The new fitness craze that's taking off in NZ
Good Health ChoicesToday 10:00am
- BodyBeyoncé reveals the post-birth, pre-Coachella diet she says she'll never go on again
Now To LoveYesterday 2:25pm
- RoyalsA never-before-seen video of Duchess Meghan during a charity trip to India has emerged
Now To LoveYesterday 10:00am
- TVJohn Campbell is replacing Jack Tame on TVNZ's Breakfast show
Now To LoveYesterday 9:31am
- At homeFive ways to make every meal fabulous with Annabelle White
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyYesterday 9:00am
- BodyWellington woman's life-changing recovery after controversial multiple sclerosis treatment
Woman's DayYesterday 8:40am
- RoyalsMore details have been revealed about Prince William's visit to New Zealand next week
Now To LoveYesterday 8:30am
- BodyThe psychology behind why we binge eat and tools to help end the cycle for good
Now To LoveApr 17, 2019
- BodyThe vital things you should be doing to look after your heart
Good Health ChoicesApr 16, 2019