Pierce Brosnan has given a rare interview addressing the deaths of his first wife, Cassandra Harris, and his daughter, Charlotte.
Cassandra, an Australian-born actress, passed away in 1991 from ovarian cancer, and more than two decades later, in 2013, their daughter, Charlotte, was taken by the same disease.
Charlotte and her brother Christopher - Cassie’s children from a previous marriage - were adopted by Pierce after their father’s death in 1986. The children chose to take the Brosnan name.
Speaking to Esquire magazine, while promoting his new show The Son, the 63-year-old actor explained that the twin tragedies have indeed affected his outlook on life.
"I don't look at the cup as half full, believe me," he told the publication. "The dark, melancholy Irish black dog sits beside me from time to time.”
Speaking shortly after his daughter’s death, Pierce told People: "Charlotte fought her cancer with grace and humanity, courage and dignity. Our hearts are heavy with the loss of our beautiful dear girl.”
“We pray for her and that the cure for this wretched disease will be close at hand soon.”
The star, who is perhaps most well known for his portrayal of the iconic character James Bond, from 1994 to 2005, also opened up about his tumultuous upbringing.
He explained that his father, Thomas Brosnan, abandoned him and his family when he was just an infant living in Ireland. His mother soon left too - in search of work in London - leaving Pierce to live with relatives before moving into a share-room in a boardinghouse.
"There were two lodgers — workingmen, one in the factory and one in the sawmill," he said. "I had a metal bed with a curtain around it.... That was my room and my haven and my space."
Pierce, who remarried in 2001 to Keely Shaye Smith, a journalist and television personality, now splits his time between the couple’s two homes in Malibu and Hawaii.
But he admits a “big house” isn’t necessary.
"You don't need a big home. You need a good table to sit at, a good bed to sleep in, a view, and a great bottle of wine.”
- RoyalsWhen and where will Baby Archie’s christening take place? Here are all the details
Now To LoveToday 4:45pm
- TVThe moving reason behind Dancing With The Stars winner Manu Vatuvei's vow to keep dancing
Now To LoveToday 4:00pm
- TVFormer DWTS dancer Carol-Ann Hanna gives her verdict on the final show and Manu's win
Now To LoveToday 12:00pm
- Diet & NutritionHow this Auckland woman lost 30kg through hypnosis
Woman's DayToday 8:00am
- FertilityConsidering freezing your eggs? Here's everything you need to know
Good Health ChoicesYesterday 12:00pm
- FamilySamantha Hayes shares her heartache after visiting a refugee camp in Jordan
- BodyRotorua parents' heartbreak: only a miracle will save their little boy
Woman's DayYesterday 8:00am
- CareerJulie Anne Genter on bicycles, babies and what's going to make a better world
The Australian Women's WeeklyJun 15, 2019
- Married at First SightMAFS' Mick Gould has posed naked in the name of rural mental health
Now To LoveJun 14, 2019