She’s always been open about her drug use – even lighting up a joint on stage at the 2013 MTV EMA awards ceremony – but since taking a step back from the spotlight, Miley Cyrus says she’s had a change of heart.
Speaking to Billboard about her upcoming new album, the “Wrecking Ball” singer reveals she’s not on any drugs, hasn’t smoked weed in three weeks and is also no longer drinking.
“I’m completely clean right now! That was just something that I wanted to do,” she said.
“I like to surround myself with people that make me want to get better, more evolved, open. And I was noticing, it’s not the people that are stoned. I want to be super clear and sharp, because I know exactly where I want to be.”
That newfound clarity extends to her soon-to-be-released music, which kicks off with single “Malibu”, a love song Miley penned about her fiance, Liam.
The couple fell in love after meeting on the set of the movie The Last Song in 2009 but parted ways in 2013, only to reunite last year.
“I needed to change so much,” Miley said of the couple’s breakup. “And changing with someone else not changing like that is too hard. Suddenly you’re like, ‘I don’t recognise you anymore.’
“We had to refall for each other,” she revealed.
Their split happened to coincide with Miley’s “Wrecking Ball” era, which saw the singer straying far from her Disney Channel roots with a series of controversial appearances and outfits.
Now, however, Miley says she’s moved on from that phase.
“All that nipple pastie s—t, that’s what I did because I felt it was part of my political movement, and that got me to where I am now,” she told Billboard.
“I’m evolving, and I surround myself with smart people that are evolved.”
- WeddingsBride quits job to plan her dream wedding and demands her fiancé get a second job
Now To LoveToday 2:00pm
- BodyKaty Perry and Orlando Bloom's new age secret to staying young
Now To LoveToday 12:30pm
- RoyalsWhy we’re unlikely to see much of Duchess Catherine and Prince William over the coming month
Now To LoveYesterday 12:30pm
- WeddingsA wedding photographer has sparked heated debate after urging wedding guests to put away their phones
Now To LoveYesterday 11:00am
- Real LifeYoung dad's incredible feat to save his family from certain death
Woman's DayYesterday 9:30am
- CareerThe tough Kiwi women who are running organisations that were traditionally 'boys' clubs'
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyYesterday 9:17am
- FamilyShortland Street's Laurel Devenie introduces her gorgeous new arrival to the world
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyYesterday 9:00am
- Relationships9 common dating mistakes - and how you can avoid making them
Now To LoveJul 15, 2019
- TVThe Block NZ's Sophia and Mikaere disqualified after cheating scandal
Now To LoveJul 15, 2019
- FamilyRobbie Magasiva opens up about the devastating loss of his beloved brother Pua
Woman's DayJul 15, 2019