Seemingly mild-mannered Matthew Perry has made a shock admission that he beat up Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, when the pair were at school.
Admittedly the ‘beating’ happened when the two were at primary school, although the actor (47) was a few years older than the politician (45) at the time.
Matthew revealed his dark secret on Jimmy Kimmel Live, confessing “I have a story about him that I’m not proud of.”
“My friend Chris Murray, who was also in the fifth grade in Canada, reminded me that we actually beat up Justin Trudeau. We both beat him up.”
“I think he was excelling in a sport that we weren’t [as good at] It was pure jealousy, and, you know we beat him up.
He continued "His dad [Pierre Trudeau] was prime minister, but that wasn’t the reason we beat him up. I think he was the only kid in school that we could beat up.”
“I’m not bragging right now,” the 17 Again star stated, “this is terrible. I was a stupid kid and I didn’t want to beat him up. In fact I think I even tried to turn it into love play.”
Matthew added that while he knew what he’d done was far from right, his actions could have played a part in helping Mr Trudeau choose his life’s work.
“I think it was rather instrumental in him, you know, going to great heights and becoming the Prime Minister. I think he said ‘I’m gonna rise above this and become Prime Minister.”
When he was asked if he’d spoken to the Prime Minister since, Matthew jokingly replied “No. I feel ashamed. I don’t want to talk about it.”
- Celebrity NewsJay-Jay Feeney and Paul Flynn: our perfect friendship
Woman's DayJan 08, 2021
- CompetitionsWin a double pass to our exclusive screening of Penguin Bloom
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyDec 27, 2020
- Celebrity NewsRobert Rakete's Christmas plans: 'It'll be a breeze!'
Woman's DayDec 25, 2020
- Celebrity NewsJase, Toni & Sam get festive with their four-legged friends
Woman's DayDec 21, 2020
- FamilyThe Terrace at Sylvia Park - what's on offer at this new dining destination
Now To LoveDec 16, 2020
- Celebrity NewsShortland Street's Ben Barrington and Ngahuia Piripi's Christmas celebrations
Woman's DayDec 16, 2020
- Celebrity NewsWendy Petrie and Matty McLean's festive cheer: 'Our hearts are so full'
Woman's DayDec 15, 2020
- Celebrity NewsKanoa Lloyd and Mike McRoberts' best Christmas ever
Woman's DayDec 14, 2020
- Celebrity NewsSoon I’ll be a dad to three under three! Sam Wallace shares his hopes and fears
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyDec 11, 2020
- Celebrity NewsCarolyn Keep's little miracle: 'The baby I never thought I'd have'
Woman's DayDec 10, 2020
- RoyalsMeghan Markle reveals she miscarried her second child in a powerful personal essay
Now To LoveNov 26, 2020
- CompetitionsWin a Farro Hamper and a double pass to Happiest Season
Now To LoveNov 25, 2020
- CompetitionsWin the Ultimate Teeth Whitening Prize Pack thanks to Colgate Optic White
Woman's DayNov 23, 2020