Amber Heard and Johnny Depp’s divorce was a very private matter played out in public, but one person who claims to have witnessed firsthand what went on behind closed doors was the former married couple’s friend close friend and long-term houseguest, iO Tillett Wright.
The author and TV host, who once phoned the police on Depp after hearing a fight between the Hollywood couple, spoke with the Sunday Times Magazine about the high-profile pair, and contrary to claims that Heard profited from her short union, Tillett Wright says the 30-year-old actress actually lost money due to her marriage.
Tillett Wright said he moved in with the couple after a tough breakup which left him feeling suicidal and lived with the pair for a few years. While he said he and the actor were once “like brothers” he has only managed to maintain a friendship with Heard since the high profile split.
Tillet Wright, who earlier this year penned a blog post called “I called 911 because she never could…”, told Sunday Times Magazine he has felt morally compelled to speak out about the situation.
“I’m not ever going to be one of them - I’m not ever going to be an A-list celebrity.
“But I chose to get involved in that situation because it was imperative to say what I thought was right".
During his interview, the gay rights activist defended Heard saying she only got about a sixth of what she could have been awarded, and added that the actress “paid all her own legal fees".
Tillett Wright, who claims to have witnessed Depp abusing Heard, also talked about The Pirates of the Caribbean star forgivingly.
He said: "People are very rarely bad people. People have things happen to them, and people have pain that they're trying to get around.
"Everybody is trying to dance with their pain and sometimes it's, who do you stab in the process? It's what you do about having stabbed them that's the delineation between people you can have in your life and people you can't."
Tillet Wright also added that he was the target of relentless online abuse from Depp’s fans who, among other things, branded him a "f--king gender-fluid liar,” and a "cancerous feminist".
Since the weekend's interview was published Tillet Wright has taken to Twitter to say that the interview he gave was not supposed to be centred on his friends' marriage and called the angle of the story "absolutely disgusting".
WATCH: Amber Heard files for divorce from Johnny Depp
- MoneyOnline shopping fails - Kiwi consumers' hilarious tales
Now To LoveToday 4:00pm
- Celebrity NewsHarper Beckham and Anna Wintour's priceless twinning moment
Now To LoveToday 2:28pm
- RoyalsHappy Birthday Prince Andrew: 7 things you may not know about the Duke of York
Now To LoveToday 9:30am
- Destinations CitiesThe all-women Bali retreat that saved my soul after my fiancé left me
The Australian Women's WeeklyYesterday 1:00pm
- BodyWhy Olivia Newton-John isn't letting battling cancer for the third time get her down
Good Health ChoicesYesterday 11:00am
- WeddingsArt Green and Matilda Rice marry in a stunning Waiheke wedding - and announce they're expecting a baby!
Now To LoveYesterday 10:10am
- Married at First SightMAFS baby on board? Reports suggest this bride is already pregnant
Now To LoveYesterday 8:00am
- Celebrity NewsMiley Cyrus has shared brand new photos from her wedding to Liam Hemsworth
Now To LoveFeb 15, 2019
- RoyalsPrincess Eugenie's special message to husband Jack Brooksbank
Now To LoveFeb 15, 2019
- CareerKiwi women who've made it their mission to make life better for others
The Australian Women's WeeklyFeb 15, 2019
- BodyThis 9 year old has a new heart thanks to one family's incredible gift of life
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyFeb 15, 2019