Amber Heard and Johnny Depp’s divorce was a very private matter played out in public, but one person who claims to have witnessed firsthand what went on behind closed doors was the former married couple’s friend close friend and long-term houseguest, iO Tillett Wright.
The author and TV host, who once phoned the police on Depp after hearing a fight between the Hollywood couple, spoke with the Sunday Times Magazine about the high-profile pair, and contrary to claims that Heard profited from her short union, Tillett Wright says the 30-year-old actress actually lost money due to her marriage.
Tillett Wright said he moved in with the couple after a tough breakup which left him feeling suicidal and lived with the pair for a few years. While he said he and the actor were once “like brothers” he has only managed to maintain a friendship with Heard since the high profile split.
Tillet Wright, who earlier this year penned a blog post called “I called 911 because she never could…”, told Sunday Times Magazine he has felt morally compelled to speak out about the situation.
“I’m not ever going to be one of them - I’m not ever going to be an A-list celebrity.
“But I chose to get involved in that situation because it was imperative to say what I thought was right".
During his interview, the gay rights activist defended Heard saying she only got about a sixth of what she could have been awarded, and added that the actress “paid all her own legal fees".
Tillett Wright, who claims to have witnessed Depp abusing Heard, also talked about The Pirates of the Caribbean star forgivingly.
He said: "People are very rarely bad people. People have things happen to them, and people have pain that they're trying to get around.
"Everybody is trying to dance with their pain and sometimes it's, who do you stab in the process? It's what you do about having stabbed them that's the delineation between people you can have in your life and people you can't."
Tillet Wright also added that he was the target of relentless online abuse from Depp’s fans who, among other things, branded him a "f--king gender-fluid liar,” and a "cancerous feminist".
Since the weekend's interview was published Tillet Wright has taken to Twitter to say that the interview he gave was not supposed to be centred on his friends' marriage and called the angle of the story "absolutely disgusting".
WATCH: Amber Heard files for divorce from Johnny Depp
- RoyalsSarah, Duchess of York, is recognised with an award for her charity work
Now To LoveToday 12:10pm
- RoyalsHow much do the royal family spend on travel a year?
Now To LoveToday 11:00am
- RoyalsThe Queen just passed on this very special patronage to Duchess Catherine
Now To LoveToday 8:30am
- TVThe Block NZ Firehouse contestants Sophia and Mikaere: 'We'll come out stronger than ever'
Woman's DayToday 8:05am
- TVWhy 2019's Dancing with the Stars cast was so close - and who's missing who now that it's over
Now To LoveYesterday 3:42pm
- BodyA cup of coffee a day could be the secret to burning fat
Now To LoveYesterday 2:00pm
- RoyalsDuchess Catherine and Prince William are reportedly planning a royal tour of Asia this year
Now To LoveYesterday 10:30am
- CareerThe Chicks Suzanne Lynch on nearing 70 and life being more exciting than ever
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyYesterday 10:00am
- Married at First SightMarried at First Sight's Martha Kalifatidis opens up about being bullied
Now To LoveYesterday 9:55am
- FamilyMental health advocate Mike King opens up about his daughter Alex following in his footsteps
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyYesterday 9:41am
- RoyalsDuchess Meghan has upgraded her engagement ring from Prince Harry
Now To LoveYesterday 9:15am
- FamilyThe woman who supported Arthur Taylor through four decades in prison
Woman's DayYesterday 8:30am
- TVThe Block NZ Firehouse contestants Stacy and Adam's biggest challenge
Woman's DayJun 24, 2019
- RoyalsSarah Ferguson brings to light one of the royal family's saddest tales from the past
Now To LoveJun 24, 2019