Speaking to Town & Country magazine, Katie, 38, opened up about parenting her look-alike daughter Suri.
"My child is the most important person to me, and her upbringing is paramount to my work right now," Katie told the publication.
"It's very important that I'm present and she has a stable, innocent childhood. I feel so blessed to do what I do, but there's nothing in the world better than watching your child succeed."
The Dawson's Creek star shares her 10-year-old daughter with ex Tom Cruise, after the pair ended their six year relationship in 2012.
Time seems to be flying for the single mum, who candidly reflected, "Every day, kids get a little further away from you."
"That's a positive thing. They should be becoming more independent, but it's heartbreaking. You want them to stay with you forever, but they're these amazing beings, and you have to do everything you can to give them what they need—and then they're going to go. And that's going to be very, very sad for me."
Talking about the other love of her, Katie admitted she tapped into her personal life when it came to her role as Jackie Kennedy in the mini-series The Kennedys After Camelot.
Now in it's second season, the show focuses on President John F. Kennedy's wife's life as a widow and single mother to teens and shows how she raises them in the public eye - something Katie can relate to.
"To experience something publicly and privately is a lot for a person to go through," she mused.
"In today's world a lot of celebrities probably shield their children from the tabloids; in my household we know what they print isn't true, so we don't pay attention. There are more important things. But it's very relatable to me; if people know who you are, they might write about you, and you can't control that."
An actress who adores her art, these days Katie has her eyes set for behind the lens.
"This business is so unstable, and you never really know where you're going to be," she remarked.
"The thing about directing is I can say I have this window and that's when we're getting it done."
This story first appeared on Now To Love Australia
- FitnessCommon mistakes to avoid when you're working out for weight loss
Good Health ChoicesToday 9:30am
- RoyalsThe very unusual way Duchess Camilla just celebrated her 72nd birthday
Now To LoveYesterday 2:00pm
- RoyalsThe caring gesture that no one saw: How Duchess Catherine consoled Duchess Meghan at Wimbledon
Now To LoveYesterday 10:06am
- TVThe Block NZ's Lisa and Ribz fire back at the 'harsh and nasty' judges
Woman's DayYesterday 10:00am
- CareerQueen of tiny: Why I love recreating everything I see in miniature
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyYesterday 9:00am
- TVHayley Holt reveals who her dream co-host would be and dishes on how work has affected her dating life
Now To LoveYesterday 8:30am
- CompetitionsWin a black and a rose gold Samsung Galaxy Watch Active worth $349 each!
Good Health ChoicesYesterday 7:00am
- WeddingsBride quits job to plan her dream wedding and demands her fiancé get a second job
Now To LoveJul 17, 2019
- BodyKaty Perry and Orlando Bloom's new age secret to staying young
Now To LoveJul 17, 2019
- Real LifeYoung dad's incredible feat to save his family from certain death
Woman's DayJul 16, 2019
- CareerThe tough Kiwi women who are running organisations that were traditionally 'boys' clubs'
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyJul 16, 2019