Nothing was off limits during Vanity Fair's interview, which covered everything from the pain of her divorce, putting her kids first, and even what she thinks of Ben's huge back tattoo.
In June last year, Jennifer Garner and Ben Affleck - who have children Violet, 10, Seraphina, 7, and Sam, 4, together - announced their plans to divorce just one day after their 10th wedding anniversary.
A month later, explosive reports in global media accused Ben of having an affair with the children’s 28-year-old nanny, Christine Ouzounian.
Jen was quick to reveal that the couple’s nanny was not solely responsible for the demise of their marriage.
“We had been separated for months before I ever heard about the nanny,” she said.
“She had nothing to do with our decision to divorce. She was not a part of the equation. Bad judgment? Yes.”
At the time, Ben, 43, called the report “garbage”.
“He’s still the only person who really knows the truth about things. And I’m still the only person that knows some of his truths," Jen says candidly.
“It was a real marriage. It wasn’t for the cameras. And it was a huge priority for me to stay in it. And that did not work.”
But don't feel sorry for Jen - she's doing just fine.
“No one needs to hate him for me. I don’t hate him. Certainly we don’t have to beat the guy up," she says. “I didn’t marry the big fat movie star; I married him. And I would go back and remake that decision. I ran down the beach to him, and I would again. You can’t have these three babies and so much of what we had.”
When it comes to moving on and finding her happiness, she tells the magazine that the task is ultimately up to her.
“It’s not Ben’s job to make me happy. The main thing is these kids—and we’re completely in line with what we hope for them," she says.
“Sure, I lost the dream of dancing with my husband at my daughter’s wedding. But you should see their faces when he walks through the door. And if you see your kids love someone so purely and wholly, then you’re going to be friends with that person.”
Despite the emotional trauma Jen has suffered throughout the past couple of months, she hasn't lost her sense of humour.
She concludes her telling interview on a slightly comical note by taking a subtle dig at her ex’s new tattoo of a rising pheonix.
“Bless his heart,” she says (a common southern American way to politely indicate that someone is being silly). “And I am the ashes?” she joked. “I take umbrage. I refuse to be the ashes.”
- Family8 foodie road trip adventures that your family will love
Now To LoveToday 5:00pm
- Diet & NutritionIs margarine actually bad for you? Four myths busted
Now To LoveToday 4:00pm
- At homeHow the right retirement village enabled mum to be mum again
Now To LoveToday 2:25pm
- RoyalsPrince Harry's stunning wildlife photography is revealed in celebration of Earth Day
Now To LoveToday 11:31am
- RoyalsHow the Royal Family spent the day on the Queen’s 93rd birthday
Now To LoveToday 9:15am
- CareerThe Kiwi couple who are making comfy prosthetic breasts
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 9:00am
- At homeWhy a magazine subscription is the perfect gift for you or someone you love
Now To LoveToday 9:00am
- CareerAnnabelle White's recipe to living a happy, contented life
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 8:42am
- FamilyFamily meal inspiration: Jo Seagar's 'loaves and fishes' approach to family meals
The Australian Women's WeeklyYesterday 12:00pm
- MindWhy travel memories play an important part in helping to develop our personality
Good Health ChoicesYesterday 10:00am
- TVDancing With The Stars' Manu Vatuvei's biggest fear when it comes to the dance floor
Woman's DayYesterday 8:00am
- Celebrity NewsDoting dad Ronan Keating enjoys a family day out at Auckland's waterfront
Woman's DayApr 21, 2019
- BodyMatilda Green talks motherhood, mental wellbeing and her plans for the future
Good Health ChoicesApr 21, 2019
- FitnessThese dance workouts will be so fun that you won't even feel like you're exercising
Good Health ChoicesApr 20, 2019
- RoyalsHappy birthday Her Majesty! Celebrating 93 years with Queen Elizabeth II
Now To LoveApr 20, 2019