Late Late Show host James Corden has opened up on his first meeting with Meryl Streep, and has revealed he found the Hollywood legend less than lovable.
In fact, James went as far to jokingly call the movie maven a “complete b----,” when recalling a story of the pair’s first meeting at the 19th Annual Costume Designers Guild awards in Los Angeles.
The 38-year-old was introducing the Florence Foster Jenkins star as the recipient of the Distinguished Collaborator Award at the event when he launched into the tale of their memorable meeting.
"I’m here tonight to present an award to Meryl Streep,” James said. "I remember the first time I met Meryl, we were in London and Meryl was having a bite to eat with Christine Baranski and I walked over to the table and I said, 'Hello, I'm James,' and she looked me right in the eye - and I'll never ever forget it - she said to me, 'I'd like the lemon-encrusted salmon with a Diet Coke.'"
James attempted to explain to Meryl that he was actually an actor and was about to play a role alongside her in Into the Woods, to which she replied “That’s great, I’d like the lemon-encrusted salmon with a Diet Coke.”
He then went on to quip: “"What I'm trying to say is, and it's time that someone said it, she's a complete b----."
James also jokingly referenced Donald Trump’s tweet calling the star “overrated" following Meryl’s impassioned speech at the Golden Globes last month.
Despite James’ onstage ribbing, he revealed his true feelings about the iconic star before she took the stage.
“There is no one like her, there never will be, and there never has been.”
- FamilyJacinda Ardern reveals who Neve gets her 'strong will' from
Now To LoveToday 10:42am
- TVMy Kitchen Rules' Piper breaks her silence on her relationship with Victor
Now To LoveToday 10:00am
- BodyHayley Holt opens up about how sobriety has made her braver and stronger
Good Health ChoicesToday 8:30am
- Pregnancy & BirthSamantha Hayes excitedly announces the gender of her baby
Now To LoveToday 12:00pm
- Diet & NutritionThe truth about coconut oil: Is it actually as good for us as we've been told?
Good Health ChoicesToday 10:00am
- CareerMean Mums' Morgana O'Reilly gets candid about her school days
The Australian Women's WeeklyToday 9:23am
- FamilyHow to get your children off the screens and out into the sunshine
Good Health ChoicesYesterday 12:00pm
- Pregnancy & BirthFear and panic followed by joy: The Edge's Chang Hung welcomes his much longed-for daughter
Woman's DayYesterday 8:00am
- CareerHow Louise Stainthorpe went from stay at home mum to 'badass businesswoman'
Woman's DayJul 19, 2019
- Married at First SightMAFS' Tamara Joy has hooked up with the brother of a fellow MAFS bride
Now To LoveJul 19, 2019
- FitnessCommon mistakes to avoid when you're working out for weight loss
Good Health ChoicesJul 19, 2019
- RoyalsThe very unusual way Duchess Camilla just celebrated her 72nd birthday
Now To LoveJul 18, 2019
- TVThe Block NZ's Lisa and Ribz fire back at the 'harsh and nasty' judges
Woman's DayJul 18, 2019
- CareerQueen of tiny: Why I love recreating everything I see in miniature
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyJul 18, 2019