Late Late Show host James Corden has opened up on his first meeting with Meryl Streep, and has revealed he found the Hollywood legend less than lovable.
In fact, James went as far to jokingly call the movie maven a “complete b----,” when recalling a story of the pair’s first meeting at the 19th Annual Costume Designers Guild awards in Los Angeles.
The 38-year-old was introducing the Florence Foster Jenkins star as the recipient of the Distinguished Collaborator Award at the event when he launched into the tale of their memorable meeting.
"I’m here tonight to present an award to Meryl Streep,” James said. "I remember the first time I met Meryl, we were in London and Meryl was having a bite to eat with Christine Baranski and I walked over to the table and I said, 'Hello, I'm James,' and she looked me right in the eye - and I'll never ever forget it - she said to me, 'I'd like the lemon-encrusted salmon with a Diet Coke.'"
James attempted to explain to Meryl that he was actually an actor and was about to play a role alongside her in Into the Woods, to which she replied “That’s great, I’d like the lemon-encrusted salmon with a Diet Coke.”
He then went on to quip: “"What I'm trying to say is, and it's time that someone said it, she's a complete b----."
James also jokingly referenced Donald Trump’s tweet calling the star “overrated" following Meryl’s impassioned speech at the Golden Globes last month.
Despite James’ onstage ribbing, he revealed his true feelings about the iconic star before she took the stage.
“There is no one like her, there never will be, and there never has been.”
- RoyalsWhy the Queen allowed Duchess Catherine to break protocol and kiss her in public
Now To LoveToday 3:18pm
- RoyalsPrincess Eugenie’s latest outfit has a sweet connection to her royal wedding last year
Now To LoveToday 11:45am
- Real LifeA Christchurch surgeon describes what it was like to be working on the day of the mosque attacks
The Australian Women's WeeklyToday 10:00am
- RoyalsSee the vibrant flower that's been named after Baby Archie
Now To LoveToday 9:30am
- Pregnancy & BirthNewshub's Melissa Davies is pregnant with her first child
Now To LoveToday 9:08am
- WeddingsUnlucky-in-love MAFS bride Ning sells her unworn wedding dress in an attempt to 'bury' her past
Now To LoveYesterday 5:00pm
- RoyalsDid Prince William just accidentally reveal his nickname for Princess Charlotte?
Now To LoveYesterday 12:30pm
- RoyalsAll the times Prince Louis looked just like his big brother Prince George
Now To LoveYesterday 10:25am
- FamilyA foster family's heartbreak as the young man they took in as a baby develops more and more serious health problems
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyYesterday 9:22am
- Married at First SightMarried at First Sight's Daniel Webb reveals he has received death threats
Now To LoveYesterday 8:12am
- CompetitionsWin a 6 months’ supply of ChildLife vitamins and supplements for a healthy winter
Good Health ChoicesYesterday 8:00am
- FamilyAmy Schumer is 'mom-shamed' for returning to work two weeks after having her baby
Now To LoveMay 22, 2019
- RoyalsDuchess Catherine looks pretty in pink at the latest Buckingham Palace Garden Party
Now To LoveMay 22, 2019