As part of the actor's latest role in Broadway play The River, Hugh has been gutting and cleaning a fish onstage every night.
The rather smelly task doesn't faze him though, as he cheerfully tells People he's got the skill down - mostly.
"Most days it goes well. Most days. We might have a Julia Child moment, oh dear!" he joked around to People.
To prepare for the fishy scene, Hugh had chefs teach him the proper way to get it done. And it goes without saying, he went through plenty of fish at home while he practised.
"Trust me, if you go to my house, it's fish fish fish," he told the magazine.
The play is set to run through to January 25 next year. After that, fans can catch Hugh in his next fearsome role as the pirate Blackbeard in the latest film adaptation of Peter Pan.
- Relationships9 common dating mistakes - and how you can avoid making them
Now To LoveToday 3:00pm
- TVThe Block NZ's Sophia and Mikaere disqualified after cheating scandal
Now To LoveToday 12:20pm
- RoyalsDuchess Catherine returns to Wimbledon to present Novak Djokovic with his winning trophy
Now To LoveToday 10:45am
- FamilyRobbie Magasiva opens up about the devastating loss of his beloved brother Pua
Woman's DayToday 8:45am
- Destinations CitiesWhere to go for adventure when you holiday in Vanuatu
Now To LoveToday 8:00am
- BodyThe silent language that is central and beneficial to our lives, and how we can get more of it
Good Health ChoicesYesterday 12:00pm