Halle Berry has been married and divorced three times.
And while some try to shame her of this fact, the actress has revealed in a new interview that she refuses to be embarrassed by her past.
Speaking openly at the 2017 City Summit and Gala in LA, the Oscar winner had quite a bit to say about the pressures placed on women when it comes to relationships.
“We go into marriage thinking it's going to last forever and that this is our prince on a shiny horse.
“That's what fairytales taught me as a kid ... and I'm kind of anti-fairytales today. But we go in there with that hope, so when it falls apart it feels like a huge failure and a huge disappointment.
“I've often felt guilty and responsible. I've suffered a lot of pain and anguish.”
Halle, who most recently divorced fellow actor Olivier Martinez, has also been married to baseball player David Justice, and singer Eric Benet.
She has two children, a three-year-old son with Olivier, and an eight-year-old daughter from her relationship with model Gabriel Aubry.
And while Halle’s path hasn’t always been smooth, she says each experience has taught her about herself.
“I have learned to deal with three failed marriages, which has not been easy, especially when there's children involved,” she said.
“All of those relationships were necessary for me. We all come here with lessons that we have to learn and those relationships provided me with lessons that got me to where I am right now.
“For that, I am grateful. But it has been hard. It’s been a difficult part of my life.”
The 50-year-old actress also opened up about her work with the Jenesse Centre, that helps prevent domestic violence, adding that she takes her children along in order to educate them about kindness.
The Monsters Ball actress says this is the best way for teaching her kids important lesons.
“I’ve learned it’s not just the words - it’s what action I put behind those words.”
- Pregnancy & BirthSamantha Hayes excitedly announces the gender of her baby
Now To LoveToday 12:00pm
- Diet & NutritionThe truth about coconut oil: Is it actually as good for us as we've been told?
Good Health ChoicesToday 10:00am
- CareerMean Mums' Morgana O'Reilly gets candid about her school days
The Australian Women's WeeklyToday 9:23am
- FamilyHow to get your children off the screens and out into the sunshine
Good Health ChoicesYesterday 12:00pm
- Pregnancy & BirthFear and panic followed by joy: The Edge's Chang Hung welcomes his much longed-for daughter
Woman's DayYesterday 8:00am
- CareerHow Louise Stainthorpe went from stay at home mum to 'badass businesswoman'
Woman's DayJul 19, 2019
- FitnessCommon mistakes to avoid when you're working out for weight loss
Good Health ChoicesJul 19, 2019
- RoyalsThe very unusual way Duchess Camilla just celebrated her 72nd birthday
Now To LoveJul 18, 2019
- TVThe Block NZ's Lisa and Ribz fire back at the 'harsh and nasty' judges
Woman's DayJul 18, 2019
- CareerQueen of tiny: Why I love recreating everything I see in miniature
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyJul 18, 2019
- CompetitionsWin a black and a rose gold Samsung Galaxy Watch Active worth $349 each!
Good Health ChoicesJul 18, 2019
- WeddingsBride quits job to plan her dream wedding and demands her fiancé get a second job
Now To LoveJul 17, 2019
- BodyKaty Perry and Orlando Bloom's new age secret to staying young
Now To LoveJul 17, 2019