Oscar-winning actress Halle Berry has confirmed she has filed for divorce from her husband of two years, French actor Olivier Martinez.
“It is with a heavy heart that we have come to the decision to divorce,” the couple told Us in a joint statement.
“We move forward with love and respect for one another and the shared focus for what is best for our son. We wish each other nothing but happiness in life, and we hope that you respect our, and most importantly our children's privacy, as we go through this difficult period.”
The two first tied the knot in July 2013 at a picturesque chateau in Vallery, France, after meeting in 2010 on the set of the film Dark Tide.
Halle and Olivier have a two-year-old son together named Maceo, and the actress is also mum to seven-year-old daughter Nahla from a previous relationship with French Canadian model Gabriel Aubry. Olivier and Gabriel famously came to blows in 2012 after Gabriel blocked the couple’s attempts to move to France with Nahla, and shocking photos leaked after the incident showed Gabriel had sustained significant injuries to his face.
Later that year, Halle and Gabriel finally settled on a custody agreement, and Halle was ordered to pay US$16,000 per month in child support to Gabriel. The star is currently embroiled in a legal petition to reduce the amount to approximately US$3,800.
A source close to the couple told People that their living arrangement caused plenty of tension between the pair, as Olivier had been hoping to move the family to his native France. However, he was forced to relocate to Los Angeles to accommodate Halle's custody arrangement with Gabriel. Meanwhile, another source says Olivier's "hair-trigger temper" was another issue.
This will be Halle’s third divorce, after splitting from baseball player David Justice in 1997 and singer Eric Benet in 2005.
Olivier previously dated Kylie Minogue for several years, and he has also been linked to Juliette Binoche, Rosie Huntington-Whiteley and actress Mira Sorvino.
Watch: Olivier Martinez snaps at an airport employee
- BodyThese common myths about sleep could be compromising your health
Now To LoveToday 1:00pm
- BodyEverything you need to know about measles and how to beat the disease
Woman's DayToday 7:00am
- FitnessHow our body clocks influence how effectively we exercise
Now To LoveToday 6:00am
- Family8 foodie road trip adventures that your family will love
Now To LoveYesterday 5:00pm
- Diet & NutritionIs margarine actually bad for you? Four myths busted
Now To LoveYesterday 4:00pm
- At homeHow the right retirement village enabled mum to be mum again
Now To LoveYesterday 2:25pm
- RoyalsPrince Harry's stunning wildlife photography is revealed in celebration of Earth Day
Now To LoveYesterday 11:31am
- RoyalsNew house, new baby, new continent? Prince Harry and Duchess Meghan look set to be moving to Africa
Now To LoveYesterday 9:25am
- Married at First SightMarried at First Sight NZ's Dan and Yuki: 'We're more in love than ever'
Woman's DayYesterday 9:20am
- RoyalsHow the Royal Family spent the day on the Queen’s 93rd birthday
Now To LoveYesterday 9:15am
- CareerThe Kiwi couple who are making comfy prosthetic breasts
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyYesterday 9:00am
- At homeWhy a magazine subscription is the perfect gift for you or someone you love
Now To LoveYesterday 9:00am
- CareerAnnabelle White's recipe to living a happy, contented life
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyYesterday 8:42am
- FamilyFamily meal inspiration: Jo Seagar's 'loaves and fishes' approach to family meals
The Australian Women's WeeklyApr 22, 2019
- MindWhy travel memories play an important part in helping to develop our personality
Good Health ChoicesApr 22, 2019