Oscar-winning actress Halle Berry has confirmed she has filed for divorce from her husband of two years, French actor Olivier Martinez.
“It is with a heavy heart that we have come to the decision to divorce,” the couple told Us in a joint statement.
“We move forward with love and respect for one another and the shared focus for what is best for our son. We wish each other nothing but happiness in life, and we hope that you respect our, and most importantly our children's privacy, as we go through this difficult period.”
The two first tied the knot in July 2013 at a picturesque chateau in Vallery, France, after meeting in 2010 on the set of the film Dark Tide.
Halle and Olivier have a two-year-old son together named Maceo, and the actress is also mum to seven-year-old daughter Nahla from a previous relationship with French Canadian model Gabriel Aubry. Olivier and Gabriel famously came to blows in 2012 after Gabriel blocked the couple’s attempts to move to France with Nahla, and shocking photos leaked after the incident showed Gabriel had sustained significant injuries to his face.
Later that year, Halle and Gabriel finally settled on a custody agreement, and Halle was ordered to pay US$16,000 per month in child support to Gabriel. The star is currently embroiled in a legal petition to reduce the amount to approximately US$3,800.
A source close to the couple told People that their living arrangement caused plenty of tension between the pair, as Olivier had been hoping to move the family to his native France. However, he was forced to relocate to Los Angeles to accommodate Halle's custody arrangement with Gabriel. Meanwhile, another source says Olivier's "hair-trigger temper" was another issue.
This will be Halle’s third divorce, after splitting from baseball player David Justice in 1997 and singer Eric Benet in 2005.
Olivier previously dated Kylie Minogue for several years, and he has also been linked to Juliette Binoche, Rosie Huntington-Whiteley and actress Mira Sorvino.
Watch: Olivier Martinez snaps at an airport employee
- BodyToni Street reflects on the extreme toll her auto-immune disease took on her body
Now To LoveToday 4:02pm
- WeddingsTwo years in the making: Tiki Taane's epic marriage proposal
Woman's DayToday 1:55pm
- TVAussie Bachelor Matt Agnew's embarrassing kissing confession
Now To LoveToday 10:05am
- RoyalsA royal biographer dishes on what the Queen carries in her handbag
Now To LoveToday 9:30am
- MoneyEverything you need to know about saving for your retirement
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 8:15am
- CareerPaul Henry reveals he's 'in talks' to return to TV
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 8:00am
- CompetitionsWin an indulgent prize pack from Young Living Oils
Now To LoveToday 7:00am
- Diet & NutritionHere are 6 energy-boosting food alternatives to coffee
Now To LoveYesterday 2:45pm
- Food & DrinksThese Kiwi oats are the perfect go-to breakfast for busy mornings
Now To LoveYesterday 1:00pm
- FamilyA former teen mum shares how she went from pregnant prefect to top of NZ in her career
Now To LoveYesterday 12:17pm
- RelationshipsGreg Boyed's widow posts a touching tribute on the first anniversary of his death
Now To LoveYesterday 11:32am
- TVSam Wallace and Eric Murray bare all on Celebrity Treasure Island
Now To LoveYesterday 10:45am
- RoyalsRevealed: Where Duchess Meghan found inspiration for her wedding day makeup look
Now To LoveYesterday 10:30am
- Travel News'Travel agents are retro' and 3 other misconceptions about travel consultants debunked
Now To LoveYesterday 10:11am
- PetsNZ police have posted a touching tribute to Constable Elliott: the world's first police guinea pig
Now To LoveYesterday 9:21am
- CareerBlack Ferns star Kendra Cocksedge: Living her dream and on a mission to help others live theirs
Woman's DayYesterday 8:10am
- WeddingsDying bride's perfect day: My final dream has come true
Woman's DayAug 20, 2019
- RoyalsPrince Harry's trick to beating a heatwave? ‘Budgie smugglers’, he says
Now To LoveAug 20, 2019