George Clooney has spoken about the moment he was held at gunpoint in Sub-Saharan Africa.
While in London on the publicity trail for his new series, Catch 22, an interviewer asked the actor about the scariest situations he's ever been in. He revealed that he's had a lot of moments where he's thought that might be the end of his life.
"I've spent a lot of time in Sub-Saharan Africa and pulled out of trucks with guys putting guns to your chest,' he told Metro UK.
"I've been in some funky spots. We were trying to bring attention to South Sudan and things like that. It's a small group of people, and crazy stuff can happen."
He said "There are a lot of those 'Oh well, this might be it'" moments. "That was part of life, of what you do."
Clooney has spent a lot of time in war-torn Sudan in his role as a United Nations peace envoy. In one terrifying moment in 2007, he had an AK47 pointed at him by a child soldier.
"We got stopped in the middle of nowhere, where we shouldn't have been," he told Variety magazine.
"A little 10-year-old kid came over with a Kalashnikov assault rifle to my head, basically wanted to get us out of the truck."
Although the experience was terrifying, it didn't deter him from returning to the country to continue his humanitarian work.
Clooney, who attended the Catch 22 premiere his wife Amal, produced, directed and stars in the critically acclaimed adaptation of Joseph Heller's satirical novel about World War II U.S. Air Force bombardier Yossariann. The mini-series will be released on the 18th May and will be available on TVNZ on Demand the same day as it screens in the US.
While in London he revealed he hoped to be able to meet close friends Prince Harry and Meghan Markle's new baby Archie.
The 58-year-old recently shut down rumours that he was going to be a godparent to the new royal. "That would be a bad idea," he proclaimed on Jimmy Kimmel Live. "I shouldn't be... I'm a father of twins I can barely do that," he quipped.
- WeddingsDying bride's perfect day: My final dream has come true
Woman's DayToday 2:25pm
- RoyalsPrince Harry's trick to beating a heatwave? ‘Budgie smugglers’, he says
Now To LoveToday 1:00pm
- TVWhat drove these celebs to sign up for Celebrity Treasure Island
Woman's DayToday 12:35pm
- Pregnancy & BirthWhy model Ashley Graham's baby bump photo has got everyone talking
Now To LoveToday 12:07pm
- RoyalsDuchess Catherine honours this lucky nine-year-old to celebrate World Photography Day
Now To LoveToday 11:15am
- CareerI loved him like a son: Phil Kingsley Jones remembers Jonah Lomu in his final years
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 9:29am
- TVMatty McLean says he's lived some of his proudest moments on Celebrity Treasure Island
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 9:09am
- TVThe redemption of former All Black Zac Guildford on Celebrity Treasure Island
Now To LoveYesterday 8:45pm
- TVKarl Burnett quits Celebrity Treasure Island as mental health suffers
Now To LoveYesterday 8:30pm
- Married at First SightMAFS' Cyrell Paule is expecting a baby with Love Island's Eden Dally
Now To LoveYesterday 1:21pm
- Pregnancy & BirthAll the gorgeous details from Samantha Hayes’ 'beautiful' baby shower
Now To LoveYesterday 12:17pm
- TVFour curious things we've learned about the stars on Celebrity Treasure Island
Now To LoveYesterday 10:42am
- TVThe first trailer for Married at First Sight NZ has been released and it's utter chaos
Now To LoveYesterday 9:48am
- RoyalsDuchess Meghan and Prince Harry jet off on another family holiday to the south of France
Now To LoveYesterday 9:15am
- FamilyWhy Karl Burnett is hoping to be voted off Celebrity Treasure Island
Woman's DayYesterday 8:30am